Is this a good build?

dashinator

Beta member
I'm trying to stay around the $600 budget and wanted some expert opinions on this. I mainly am just using this for gaming on WoW, league, csgo and photoshop here and there. I just want something that will perform good but still not break my wallet. I'm still iffy about the GPU so don't worry about that or the OS since I will be buying windows 7 from my college.

The build:
AMD FX-6300, EVGA GeForce GTX 770, Corsair SPEC-01 RED - System Build - PCPartPicker

Also, I currently have an intel i3 3.07ghz with 3254mb RAM and a default intel gpu. I'm not sure if I should upgrade that or just build that one I linked because the current one I have is pretty sluggish and i've had it for about 3 years now. I will be playing league for example and if I have youtube playing in the back I will lag so it's pretty bad. I currently use my laptop for everything and it does the job well, but I miss having a good desktop which is why i'm upgrading. Any advice would be awesome! Thanks :D

Yea getting an i5 for your current setup and maybe a new PSU (actually list everything you currently have) for a new GTX 960 or 970 would be your best bet.

I'm trying to stay around the $600 budget and wanted some expert opinions on this. I mainly am just using this for gaming on WoW, league, csgo and photoshop here and there. I just want something that will perform good but still not break my wallet. I'm still iffy about the GPU so don't worry about that or the OS since I will be buying windows 7 from my college.

The build:
AMD FX-6300, EVGA GeForce GTX 770, Corsair SPEC-01 RED - System Build - PCPartPicker

Keep the build, only chuck out the asus motherboard for a good msi or gigabyte mobo.
Look for a 700 watt psu seasonic or antec will do.
Least that way it'll keep everything powered up right and can do some good oc.
That six core will do you very well for gaming and working.
Get to have your cake, ice cream and chips too. :)
You won't need a core i5 like those 2 mentioned.

Best of luck with your build.

Keep the build, only chuck out the asus motherboard for a good msi or gigabyte mobo.
Look for a 700 watt psu seasonic or antec will do.
Least that way it'll keep everything powered up right and can do some good oc.
That six core will do you very well for gaming and working.
Get to have your cake, ice cream and chips too. :)
You won't need a core i5 like those 2 mentioned.

Best of luck with your build.
It makes no sense to completely change platforms when he is already on Intel. It'd be better and cheaper to simply keep what he has and upgrade to an i5.

If your upgrading, you need to seriously consider getting a SSD hard drive
Yea this.

It makes no sense to completely change platforms when he is already on Intel. It'd be better and cheaper to simply keep what he has and upgrade to an i5.

Yea this.

To me it does, if he wants to try the amd route let him.
Besides that we don't know for sure what he'll do with it in college.
If you have classses that need a good multitasking cpu while gaming/goofing off amd will be up for the job.
Like I've been saying these past years AMD has something for you if not more if you take the time to use it and put it to work.
That hexa-core is indeed worth the money, getting a new higher end core i5 would be a waste of money.
I won't argue with you about it or debate it, but I'll challenge you to this.
Go build a 250.00 dollar amd hexa-core rig and use it for 1 year.
The cpu thats inside my computer right now is doing far more than I expected it to.
It juggles stuff around the windows environment with no probs.

Last edited:
To me it does, if he wants to try the amd route let him.
Besides that we don't know for sure what he'll do with it in college.
If you have classses that need a good multitasking cpu while gaming/goofing off amd will be up for the job.
Like I've been saying these past years AMD has something for you if not more if you take the time to use it and put it to work.
That hexa-core is indeed worth the money, getting a new higher end core i5 would be a waste of money.
I won't argue with you about it or debate it, but I'll challenge you to this.
Go build a 250.00 dollar amd hexa-core rig and use it for 1 year.
The cpu thats inside my computer right now is doing far more than I expected it to.
It juggles stuff around the windows environment with no probs.

In that case, he should just get an i7 then.

Back
Top Bottom