After Ten Years I've Finally Bought A New Computer

BeardedCoffeeMonkey

Beta member
A Falcon Northwest Talon

My old rig was a Falcon Northwest Mach V and it has served my loyally for the past 10 years, with only a motherboard and video card upgrade (and I added some USB ports to the front). BUT after starting YouTubing in November, it was showing it's age in its ability to game AND capture AND edit videos.

So I decided it was time for a new computer. So I bought one. And had it custom painted.

NOW ... before I continue, I explain in the video why I didn't want to build my own, seeing as how most times people berate new computer owners with "you could have built it cheaper" or "you should have just built it yourself, it's not hard". Perhaps someday I will as a weekend project/hobby, but this is my main computer and I need this thing bulletproof. Plus, no WAY am I ready to tackle a water cooled system right now.

Here's a video of the unboxing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUs2fgY2D9o

And the specs:
• Custom Logo and Paint
• Motherboard: Asus X99 Deluxe
• Processor: Intel Core i7 5960X 3.0GHz (no overclock)
• Liquid Cooled
• Memory: 32GB (4x8GB) 2400MHz DDR4
• Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 4GB
• Sound Card: Soundblaster ZX
• Hard Drives: 3 Crucial M550 SSD Drive (Two 256GB, One 512GB)
• Optical Drive: Asus 12x BluRay Writer
• Operating System: Windows 8.1 Pro

Hopefully it will last me another 10 years.

MYTH #1
Self-built computers are more prone to problems or crashes.

NOW ... before I continue, I explain in the video why I didn't want to build my own, seeing as how most times people berate new computer owners with "you could have built it cheaper" or "you should have just built it yourself, it's not hard". Perhaps someday I will as a weekend project/hobby, but this is my main computer and I need this thing bulletproof.

MYTH #2
no WAY am I ready to tackle a water cooled system right now.
the liquid cooling you have for your CPU is not water cooled. it is a simplified all-in-one cooling system that uses something similar to automotive coolant that you'd find in your car.

you screw the block to to CPU, screw the radiator to PC case and then attach the fan. 12 screws and done, not hard at all. (for the AIO unit)

Last edited:
The 980 will probably last a fair while given it's the most advanced card to date, but I agree with PP that it probs won't last a decade if you're going to be playing the latest AAA titles all the time. Could always upgrade it though :D

I'll tell you what Barry. Come chat with us more often and I'll subscribe.

:)

Sent from my blast processing t-781.afd Doritto chip from outer space.

Back
Top Bottom