memory

XWrench3

Daemon Poster
i was looking at memory (ram) sticks the other day, for the build project my son and i are buying parts for. he showed me the memory sticks he wanted, which is fine. but it occurred to me how large (physical size) these are compared to a micro sd card with way more (GB) size. since everything is reduced to "0's and 1's in computer technology, i have to ask what is the difference between the digits stored in ram, and the digits stored in a micro sd card. one theory that i came up with is that all of the different contacts allow a much higher flow rate of digits. but that does not explain the thickness difference.

There's two different types of memory, the type of memory in the DDR sticks is volatile memory, SD cards have non-volatile memory and is not designed to be used as the type of DDR memory that the bios looks for to boot up. The design of the motherboard is set to use DDR memory to boot up the pc, SD cards are designed to be used like hard drives

The digits that are stored in each are the same, but the use of each type of memory is different. RAM, or volatile memory (as the previous poster stated), is used to temporarily store data that is being used while the machine is powered on. Once you shut off the machine, however, the volatile memory is wiped clean and starts fresh the next time the machine is powered on. SD cards, hard drives, flash drives, etc. are used to store data. These two things are completely separate entities in computing, but equally as important.

Back
Top Bottom