Gaming Video Card

Gilles

In Runtime
So I think it may be time to get a new card. There are a few options. I currently have a Radeon HD 6800 series card. Can't remember which one, but there are only like 2, and they are pretty close in rankings usually.

So, options are:

1. GTX 750-ti

2. Radeon 270X

3. Radeon 280=$220

Now, all of them are an upgrade, but the 750-ti seems like a fairly moderate upgrade compared to the other cards.

The 270x seems like a clear choice over the 750, but I thought I'd ask about it.

I'm leaning towards the 280 though. It's listed as having a really strong bang-for-buck, and it's one of the best budget gaming cards out there. I'd like to get something to boost me back into higher end settings for new games. Doesn't have to keep up for more than a year or two with games. If I can get away with the 270 for even a year or so on high settings, I'd be happy with saving the $100 though.

Thoughts? Did I miss any other cards?

Last edited:
Thanks. I went to newegg. Here are some more options from there. Thoughts?

280 X=$200
Nevermind, it's a 280. It came up when I searched for a 280 X. : (

7950=$150

7970=$210

Last edited:
The 280x is a 7970, so if you wanted to spend 10 bucks more for the 7970 it would beat getting a 280x for more. A 270x is a 7870, so the 7950 would be better than that except that's a refurb. Up to you whether you want to trust it or not.

So basically the 7970 is the best card at that price range right now, but it's a refurb. Is the chance worth the upgrade from the 280?

So I'm looking at either the 280 from NCIX or the Refurb 7970 from Newegg. With shipping and tax, they are $2 apart, so it's just do I want refurb and a better card, or just a new card. (I do get the free games with the NCIX card, but that's not really of much importance to me).

Last edited:
If we were talking Nvidia and a refurb eVGA I'd say take the chance. More than likely it's fine so that's why I said it's up to you. I don't believe Newegg is going to purposely sell a bad card.

I decided to get the 280. The free games and the fact that the other is a refurbish sold me on it.

Thanks PP. I'd give you rep, but apparently I already did at some point in history, long forgotten. :p

Back
Top Bottom