I have to make the jump....

Joe C

Golden Master
My wife and I have been happy with just our old fashioned flip phones for years but this whole text thing is catching up with us, Her school is now dedicated to sending text messages for winter closings, lock down drills and fire drills.
We are going to check out some smart phones out tonight, I'm looking at a Samsung S4 as a possible choice.
If anybody is familiar with these phones, Then I'd like to know a few things about them. I like to use my own custom ring tones and I can access my current phone to use a home made ring tone. How difficult will it be to access the S4 files to install my personal ring tones?
Thanks.

Theres an app called Zedge that has a lot of free custom content. The Google Play store will have it listed for free install it and customize away! :)

Good luck in your new purchase!

All you have to do is copy your ringtones to the internal storage or SDCard, and put them in a "Ringtones" folder for call ringtones. You can separate out all your sound stuff, by using this folder structure:

/Alarms
/Ringtones
/Notifications

That way the system will separate stuff out for your for whatever context you're in (i.e. picking an alarm, selecting your call ringtone, or text/general notification sound).

Last edited:
Yeah, I remember having to use BitPim on my LG phones.

Android you just have to access the storage. And, like iParanormal said, there's also Zedge which is an app with a huge variety of ringtones/sounds/wallpapers/etc.

Oh yeah. I download ring tones to my computer and then transfer them to my phone. I find it easier to listen to them on my desktop as I tend to open them up in tabs as I browse through them. I think Zedge will also let you cut your own ring tones, at least on the desktop version of the website.

Sent from my LG-E980 using TechForums

Oh yeah. I download ring tones to my computer and then transfer them to my phone. I find it easier to listen to them on my desktop as I tend to open them up in tabs as I browse through them. I think Zedge will also let you cut your own ring tones, at least on the desktop version of the website.

Sent from my LG-E980 using TechForums

There's apps for that :p.

I think the one I've used is "Ringdroid".

Though yeah, I do still find it easier to cut/trim using Audacity if I use my own music files.

Yup...used Nero here. I remember they had to be a certain size but can't remember what that is any more.
I currently use the intro to CCR's Up Around The Bend as my ring tone. Because my Mrs. is a high school teacher, I put the intro to Alice Coopers School's Out on hers

I remember having some "Ringtonemaker" app that would let you trim songs stored on the SD or local storage and turn any part of any mp3 into a ringtone. Might be nice to look for something like that if you want to cut out the process on your PC.

:)

I remember having some "Ringtonemaker" app that would let you trim songs stored on the SD or local storage and turn any part of any mp3 into a ringtone. Might be nice to look for something like that if you want to cut out the process on your PC.

:)

;)

There's apps for that :p.

I think the one I've used is "Ringdroid".

Though yeah, I do still find it easier to cut/trim using Audacity if I use my own music files.

Back
Top Bottom