Alarm Clock Problem

Jinxus

Beta member
Can't post in the off topic section yet, which I thought this would be best for.

My alarm clock goes wrong by hours some days while working. I work on ships, all of our power is generated by generators in the Engine room, and the engineers say the reason plugged in alarm clocks don't work is because often times the generators will leave 60Hz which the clocks operate on.

So that leaves battery operated clocks, but I hate how low quality most of them are and how they don't have a backlight that stays on throughout the night. My cellphone seems not to lose time, but I don't want to leave it plugged in everyday for 4 months at a time. I imagine my phone doesn't lose track because the battery which intercepts the Hz (sorry for uneducated interpretation of how it works :D)

Any awesome battery powered alarm clocks out there? One that I can maybe plug in to the wall to charge battery but the clock is not powered through outlet power?

You don't really have to leave your phone plugged in all day... I plug mine in all night (in before I go to bed, and unplug when I wake up). No detrimental battery effects here... done that with every phone I've had.

There are desk clock / alarm apps out there (for Android at least...I'm assuming there are for Apple devices as well) that will keep the screen on at the lowest brightness for you.

Your phone gets it's time from the internet or cell towers, depending on what you're connected to. That's what it uses to sync up. There are power filters in place usually in the phone (somewhat) to direct that power to the battery.

If you don't want to use your phone specifically, you can find an old used Android device, and keep it plugged in all the time running the clock app. Some Android devices are able to work without a battery installed (but some won't...so you'll have to research a bit there).

Back
Top Bottom