Technology trends for the next 3 years !!

Carla

Beta member
Hey guys,

I'm doing an internacional investigation about technology trends for the next 3 years, and it is based on people's opinions. Would you tell me your opinion about this? Which new trends do you think will appear? (we're talking all kids of technologies).

(sorry for any mistakes, I'm portuguese :) )

From what I've seen, GPUs and CPUs will be doing the minimize our power and footprint thing while gaining more performance.

After the next batch of consoles gaming engines will start utilize more cores and system RAM which will lead to bigger and richer environments.

OLED should be coming into the picture as a consumer usable product besides phones. TVs, PC monitors, ect.

Wireless technology is looking at a leap in speed. A huge leap, rivaling hardware in speeds and getting closer in pings.

I think "flash based" storage is going to become a bigger part in regular computing as GB/$ is decreasing and reliability is increasing. People are starting to figure out exactly how much faster an SSD is over their regular HDD. Less heat and less power usage means companies are looking at SSD tech too. I know for certain the POS industry is, more specifically NCR and Aloha based machines.
On that note, I don't think 3 years but maybe 5 years there might be a breakthrough in large storage technology. I can't say for sure but I think it may be possible in this decade that HDD storage will be replaced with something more feasible. That is stretching a bit as I'm on limited info there.
Taking a step further in storage, I think the optical disc will be taking the way of the DoDo soon. Game systems made them back in the day, and I think modern game systems will break them. Then again, I could be wrong as it's totally 50/50. 2 new consoles based on BD would mean the mainstream adoption of BluRay.

We'll have to see. Everything on my end is speculation besides game engines and CPU/GPU tech.

companies will produce more wearable technology, home automation products / software, and touchscreen monitors.

digital media content and services will continue to evolve.

Do you think we can guess? Did you guess phones getting as big as Note 2? DId you think they would be something like wireless charging? Did you think Nokia would say adieu to Symbian?
The interesting thing is that everything is uncertain and that's what keeps us thinking and guessing. Now with windows 8, no surprise the prices of the touch monitors will come down and in 5 years they should be replacing the regular LCDs and LEDs
Who knows we might get motion control replacing the touch. Keep guessing!

I agree with PP Mguire. Flash-based storage is it! Even EMC and NetApp are trying to keep up with the latest technology from TinTri. TinTri is 100% flash-based and VMWARE-ready to boot! While the systems do come with HDDs for emergency backup, the SSDs can handle, on average, 99% of both read and write IO. And the VMWARE setup/migration is a breeze. Saves big time and big money.

We already have 1 tb ssd drives, I do believe that trend will continue with prices dropping on ssd's to be more competitive with platter drives too. DDR 4 memory is just around the corner, memory will continue to improve.
Microsoft is heading towards an operating system that will be on a yearly fee basis. We are currently seeing that with Windows Office 365, which I believe is a precursor to what Microsoft really wants to do in order to maximize profits.

Last edited:
Do you think we can guess? Did you guess phones getting as big as Note 2? DId you think they would be something like wireless charging? Did you think Nokia would say adieu to Symbian?
The interesting thing is that everything is uncertain and that's what keeps us thinking and guessing. Now with windows 8, no surprise the prices of the touch monitors will come down and in 5 years they should be replacing the regular LCDs and LEDs
Who knows we might get motion control replacing the touch. Keep guessing!

I don't see touch as ever being a replacement for the keyboard and mouse on a desktop machine. It's not an ergonomically viable option. I can't imagine sitting at my desk, interacting with my monitor by touch.

I think LCD/LEDs with far more pixels per inch are on their way, and that would benefit all devices from Ultra HD TVs all the way down to tablets.

Bill Gates take on this

Bill Gates: 'Robots, pervasive screens, speech interaction will all change the way we look at computers'

"Robots, pervasive screens, speech interaction will all change the way we look at ‘computers,'" he wrote. An early champion of voice recognition and voice command, Gates firmly believes that once computing devices can see, hear and read what we want (this includes handwriting recognition) the way we interact with technology will change again and this change could have the same level of impact on our lives as the original PC did.

How about cloud technology? As, I think cloud technology in the future is going to be more popular, convincing more number of people. However, recently I have gone through articles showing its increasing impacts on various industries such real estate, media, healthcare, defense etc.

Back
Top Bottom