Craig's List

Roark

Lord of Bacon
The more time I spend on CL the more ashamed I am of some computer geeks and the levels of gouging they reach.
So here is a thread where you can post CL ads that really stood out to you (or similar websites for your country).

What prompted me to make this post? Well I'm glad you asked.
AMD 8-Core Gaming System
Yes you're reading that right, 8-core AMD gaming rig with 32GB of RAM for $2,000.

They have a Facebook page which just got a scathing message from me.

LOL...I pop into Craigs List every now and then too
This idiot wants $8000. for a super computer from the 1990's
Cray J916 Super Computer

from the ebay link he posted, there is this statement:
Here is your chance to own a Cray Super Computer. This Cray was used by the US Air Force back in the 1990's. Hasn't been powered up in last 3 or 4 years but was functioning when last hooked up

The more time I spend on CL the more ashamed I am of some computer geeks and the levels of gouging they reach.
So here is a thread where you can post CL ads that really stood out to you (or similar websites for your country).

AMD 8-Core Gaming System
Yes you're reading that right, 8-core AMD gaming rig with 32GB of RAM for $2,000.

Did you actually price out the components he did list? His price markup is almost dead on with other shops around me, and he also potentially lives in an area where minimum wage is higher than federal standards. The only thing about that is the cheesy case and wire management. BTW, I got $1400 on that build with out the os/case/drives. Throw in another $300 for those (just on average if he uses OEM and quality case) and yep, it comes pretty close to $2G.

Oh, I even forgot the PSU.

You just have to ignore some of the posts. I mean, I see ridiculous crap like this everyday when I have put my old PC on there about 3 times and it never sold for 750/600/550 respectively. I only scan CL for jems like the PC I have now. Since I got this for 675 then I see no reason for people to highly price turds.

Go back and actually price them, you must be picking the lowest of the low end. The 8x core CPU is $250, a 990X motherboard is ~150, the RAM it self is $240, those ARE 2GB 6870s, thats $220 a pop, so $440 for those, $30 a DVD drive, $150 for the 1.5TB HDD, then another what, $100 for a case, and minimum $50 for the PSU and $100 for an OEM OS?

That right there is ~$1550, and the only components I am assuming are minimal costs on the PSU, average cost for a case, and I assume he is using an OEM OS from the egg, I couldn't find an Asus that he mentioned, but, that motherboard looks like the lower end CROSSHAIR motherboard, so that's actually $240 for the mobo. If you think a small shop should only make $10 on it, then you are ignorant and understand nothing about overhead.

AMD 8-Core Gaming System

I tired to start this exact thread a few weeks ago, and it got removed.

Go back and actually price them, you must be picking the lowest of the low end.
I did actually price them and it came to $1,200.
He replied to my FB message with the parts list and I was $150 off on the motherboard (used the EVO), everything else was spot on.

And yes I do know what overhead is; however his FB wall stated only a $50 service charge over cost (until he removed the posts after my message).
That is part of what was aggravating, claiming a $50 mark-up and really doing $400 (he claimed a $1,600 cost).

I don't just start making accusations about people, I actually do some research so I don't look like a total jackwagon when I call someone out.

Then he is ignorant as I saw similar posts, but the fact is, $2000 from an actual mom-n-pop store isn't bad. And that appears to be a crosshair motherboard he is showing, Newegg.com - ASUS Crosshair V Formula AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Gaming Motherboard with 3-Way SLI/CrossFireX Support and UEFI BIOS Exact same in every way, I can NOT find ANY other ASUS motherboard that looks like that board except for a crosshair motherboard. $50 markup is just ignorant, even advertising your markup in it self is a stupid thing to do.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...05505275.76594.282012968514206&type=1&theater

I keep coming to $1400 minimum for the build, that's AFTER the rebates, which can not be considered as we do not have a way of telling when those rebates started on Newegg, nor when he purchased the components.

And to top if off, it appears he has the "Thunder bolt" version in that rig, with out that add-on card, which is a $310 package, though, the only difference between the lower end board and that one appears to be that add-on card.

You may be ticked, but he is pricing similar to what every mom-n-pop shop would price at, and most people that don't know jack would be more than please with that machine.

Back
Top Bottom