Sweetpacks

Start out with running Malwarebytes Antimalware, and post the log here after removing everything it finds.

After that, run a scan with AdwCleaner, and remove anything it finds (again, post the log here): AdwCleaner Download

After that, run HiJackThis and post the log here (don't remove anything unless told to do so). Download it from here, and run it as Admin: HiJackThis | SourceForge.net

Also, go through your Programs & Features list and look for any Coupon programs, uninstall any toolbars, "extra" security scanners (like the McAfee Security Scanner), etc.

I agree with everything carnagex recommended here.
If for whatever reason these programs overlook it at all I might also check the plugins or add-ons depending on which browser you use and all of them if you use more than one. From there, either disable or delete it if you have the option.
Also running Malwarebytes in safe mode with networking works if Sweetpacks is being extra fiesty. We hope this helps.

I am a complete Tech baby and know very little about things technical. Forgive me, but I don't know how to post a log here. I have downloaded Malwarebytes and run it through my system though, and it picked up and quarantined just over 1500 faults. The thing about Sweetpacks is that although it keeps altering my homepage and search engine, it isn't in my "Programmes and Features" on my Control Panel, so I don't know if it's gone or not! Thanks so much for your help.

That's okay Samwise, we can walk you through this. First, I need to know which web browser you use to surf the internet.
If you use more than 1 then please name all the web browsers that you use(like, Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, Firefox, etc)

Thanks. I use Chrome.

Check your home page settings, as well as your Extensions list (Menu -> More Tools -> Extensions) and post what extensions you have installed.

Also check your proxy settings. Control Panel -> Internet Options -> Connections tab -> LAN Settings button -> make sure "Use a proxy" is unchecked.

Also, to post logs...when the program generates a log file, just Ctrl+A everything, then copy and paste in a new post.

Have you ran AdwCleaner and removed everything it found as well? Have you ran HiJackThis yet?

Developer mode
Ask App for iLivid 1.1
Easily search the web
Details

Enable

iLivid 1.1
Easily keep up to date with movie news, movie reviews, and search the web with iLivid new tabs
Details

Enable

Norton Identity Safe 1.0.5
Access your Identity Safe Vault, which remembers your usernames and passwords for single-click access to your favorite sites.
Details

Allow in incognito

Enabled

Norton Security Toolbar 2014.7.10.28
Norton Safe Search and Safe Web warn you of dangerous sites when you search, shop or browse online.
Details

Allow in incognito

Allow access to file URLs

Enabled

SweetPacks Chrome Extension 1.4.0.4
SweetPacks Chrome Extension enhance your browsing experience
Details

Enable
Installed by a third party.

Get more extensions Keyboard shortcuts

Spotted Sweetpacks there. Should I still do AdwCleaner and HiJack This?

Yes, delete the SweetPacks extension. Did you install "iLivid" extensions as well? If not, go ahead and disable those 2 at least (uncheck them).

Yes, still run AdwCleaner and HiJackThis. With AdwCleaner just click the "Clean" button when it finishes scanning and post the log. With HiJackThis... do NOT remove anything unless told to do so - removing the wrong entries can mess up your system - just post the log when it's done scanning and I'll look it over.

You'll also want to look through your other browsers (IE and if you have it, FF) in their extensions lists to make sure there aren't any rogue extensions there either.

Also...I see you have Norton installed...I'd recommend getting rid of it and replacing it with a better, free AV such as Avira. You can remove Norton with this utility: Norton Removal Tool Download

*looks like carnagex beat me to it lol. Good stuff carnage*

Okay, so first I believe you may have deleted the files that Sweetpacks was changing when you ran the malwarebytes which is good. Before we move on to remove it from the browser I'd like you to double check your "Program & Features" to see if it is still there.
Try looking for it by a slightly different name like "SweetIM by Sweetpacks". If you see that, then uninstall that first. If you don't see anything in there then we can move on to the next step.
In this next step we need to get to the "Extensions" in Google Chrome.
This can be done by opening Google Chrome and then clicking on the "Tools icon". It will be on the top-hand corner and look like 3 horizon lines. Once you click on it you will get a drop down window where you can go down and click on "More tools", which will then allow you to choose the "Extensions" option.
Google Chrome will open a second tab with all of the extensions installed and you should see Sweetpacks right in there. Once you find it, simply click on the little trash can icon to the right of it and confirm by clicking "Remove" in the small popup.
That should do the trick for you. Then you can set your preferred homepage and search engine again.
You can reboot and run a second malwarebytes scan again just in case Sweetpacks changed any additional files since the last scan.
Let me know if any steps don't match up for you.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom