is my BIOS infected?

Gabis1207

Awkward moment when...
Lately, my Acer Aspire laptop has been behaving oddly when I go to turn it on.
When I press the power button, the laptop starts, attempts to boot, shuts down, restarts, and repeats indefinitely. This has been going on for some time.

I first noticed this issue shortly after uninstalling a program called VirtualCloneDrive (https://www.elby.ch/en/products/vcd.htmlx), and I've just lived with it since.

Yesterday, I inserted a CloneZilla CD into my laptop, turned it on, and something strange happened. It booted to Windows on the first attempt. I restarted my computer multiple times. Each time, it successfully booted to windows on the first try. Since this discovery, I have been keeping that CloneZilla disc in my CD drive. This has, however, exposed a second problem. My BIOS is set to check my HDD last, and in spite of there being a working bootable disc in my CD drive, windows boots every time.

Is this a problem with my BIOS, is something else infected with some malicious virus, or should my computer get ready for the recycling bin?

Way to necro this one, gentlemen. As far as I can tell, the issue disappeared just as quickly as it started, so I'm not sure what to say.

Back
Top Bottom