I need serious help, please.

schatterd

Beta member
Hi y'all,

I'm new to this, so if I posted wrong, or say the wrong thing, please excuse me.

I don't even know where to begin. While I realize I have an older computer system then most, it has become increasingly slower than I ever remember. I am unable to use Chrome any longer. I can't seem to access certain programs any longer. I've tried to download and run some security scans, like Hijackthis, but I know enough not to "fix" any results unless someone smarter than me reviews the log. Some of the other programs freeze during use, like Belcar.

I had run a version of AdwCleaner that an IT personal friend had, but now can't seem to find or download any version that I don't get some kind of error message with.

I've run Malwarebytes, it finds nothing. I'm using Norton360, but it doesn't find anything. I have become so frustrated I don't know what to do any longer, 'cept maybe put a bullet in this machine.

I'm not sure what I'm to post here until I get some direction.

So, I'm going to thank, profusely, in advance, the person that takes this task on. I do have the original installation disks from Dell for Vista, Office Home, whatever came with the system when I bought it, but like Dell's utility driver disk, it's in the drive, but when I try to access it, it keeps telling me to insert a CD...so, there. That's basically it.

I need help before I explode, please!!

You should try to format the OS. It's a good thing to do once in a while. You are using vista, so i know your computer is at least 5 years old. If you haven't done a fresh install sense, you really should do it. If i where you i'll get an SSD and install windows 7 or 8 on it. IT's gonna make the system much faster. Remember to backup everything before formatting.

Thanks for replying BikerEcho, couple of problems on my end though, first being that in your reply you mention something you refer to as "SSD"? I have no idea what that is. Second, where would I go to get step by step on an OS reinstall?

Is that as easy as backing up my data and programs and then just reinserting the original disks from the manufacturer? Or is it more complicated than that.

Once again, thanks for your reply.

schatterd

Thanks for replying BikerEcho, couple of problems on my end though, first being that in your reply you mention something you refer to as "SSD"? I have no idea what that is.
SSD = Solid State Drive. It's flash-based storage rather than platter-based storage like HDD's are (Hard Disk Drive).

Second, where would I go to get step by step on an OS reinstall?

Is that as easy as backing up my data and programs and then just reinserting the original disks from the manufacturer? Or is it more complicated than that.

Once again, thanks for your reply.

schatterd

Yes. although you can't back up programs really. You'll need to reinstall all your programs individually.

If you have the reinstall discs for your system then yes, all you'll need to do is insert them and boot off of the discs.

You'll need to back up all your documents/pics/favorites/etc. to an external HDD, flash drive, or burn them onto a disc or something similar.

Hi y'all,

I'm new to this, so if I posted wrong, or say the wrong thing, please excuse me.

I don't even know where to begin. While I realize I have an older computer system then most, it has become increasingly slower than I ever remember. I am unable to use Chrome any longer. I can't seem to access certain programs any longer. I've tried to download and run some security scans, like Hijackthis, but I know enough not to "fix" any results unless someone smarter than me reviews the log. Some of the other programs freeze during use, like Belcar.

I had run a version of AdwCleaner that an IT personal friend had, but now can't seem to find or download any version that I don't get some kind of error message with.

I've run Malwarebytes, it finds nothing. I'm using Norton360, but it doesn't find anything. I have become so frustrated I don't know what to do any longer, 'cept maybe put a bullet in this machine.

I'm not sure what I'm to post here until I get some direction.

So, I'm going to thank, profusely, in advance, the person that takes this task on. I do have the original installation disks from Dell for Vista, Office Home, whatever came with the system when I bought it, but like Dell's utility driver disk, it's in the drive, but when I try to access it, it keeps telling me to insert a CD...so, there. That's basically it.

I need help before I explode, please!!
Come on over, I'll provide the bullets and the shotgun :lol:

Come on over, I'll provide the bullets and the shotgun :lol:

If that's what I'm reduced to, I've got the shotgun....but bullets, now that's inviting.

To all the others who've replied, thanks. I guess it's time to throw it in the trash. :upset:

Thought maybe there was something more I could do to bring her back to life...

Thanks all. :)

A Texan without bullets, shame.

There are plenty of things you can do. More than likely the PC is just too bloated. First thing I would do is take Norton off. It's one of the biggest resource hogs around. Try Avast or Microsoft Security Essentials.

Next thing I would do is this. Hit your start button, and in the search box (cursor should already be there) type in "msconfig" without the quotes. A box will come up. Click on the startup tab and then click the "disable all" button. When you hit apply and ok there will be a box that popups. Go ahead and restart. See how your machine runs then. If it seems quicker, you have too many things running. Report back.

A Texan without bullets, shame.

There are plenty of things you can do. More than likely the PC is just too bloated. First thing I would do is take Norton off. It's one of the biggest resource hogs around. Try Avast or Microsoft Security Essentials.

Next thing I would do is this. Hit your start button, and in the search box (cursor should already be there) type in "msconfig" without the quotes. A box will come up. Click on the startup tab and then click the "disable all" button. When you hit apply and ok there will be a box that popups. Go ahead and restart. See how your machine runs then. If it seems quicker, you have too many things running. Report back.

Whoa...whoa..., now Mr. Maguire, I said your offer of bullets was inviting...never said I didn't have any!

Alright, while I have not, as of yet, deleted Norton, I will do that. But I did the "msconfig" you suggested. In all honesty, I can't tell if it's any faster or not. However, I do know that Chrome won't load, or execute...I hate IE, but that's what I'm reduced to.

I have yet to see about other executables that wouldn't start....but, I guess once I try them I will get back. Any other suggestions in the meantime?

And, I really appreciate your help....

schatterd

Whoa...whoa..., now Mr. Maguire, I said your offer of bullets was inviting...never said I didn't have any!

Alright, while I have not, as of yet, deleted Norton, I will do that. But I did the "msconfig" you suggested. In all honesty, I can't tell if it's any faster or not. However, I do know that Chrome won't load, or execute...I hate IE, but that's what I'm reduced to.

I have yet to see about other executables that wouldn't start....but, I guess once I try them I will get back. Any other suggestions in the meantime?

schatterd

What other executables won't start? Have you tried reinstalling Chrome?

You could also try running a disk check on the drive:

Start -> type 'cmd' (without quotes) -> right click -> run as admin -> in the console window that pops up type:
chkdsk C: /f /r
Press Enter and it will say it cannot lock the current drive and to run on next reboot. Type Y and hit Enter -> Reboot your computer and let it run through the check (it may take some time, depending on how big your HDD is).

schatterd
Make sure you take Norton out before assessing anything. Norton can be a total PAIN and mess up other programs.

Essentially what I told you to do turns off all start up programs and if there was anything on boot causing a real big slow down that would have sped things up a bit. Honestly can't really progress without Norton being off. Do what he says below too.

What other executables won't start? Have you tried reinstalling Chrome?

You could also try running a disk check on the drive:

Start -> type 'cmd' (without quotes) -> right click -> run as admin -> in the console window that pops up type:
chkdsk C: /f /r
Press Enter and it will say it cannot lock the current drive and to run on next reboot. Type Y and hit Enter -> Reboot your computer and let it run through the check (it may take some time, depending on how big your HDD is).

Back
Top Bottom