help with google redirect virus

scraps

Beta member
When i do a Google search sometimes the links send me to a completely other website, I have ran almost everything under the sun and cannot find a solution to this. Can someone please help. I do not want to have to reformat.

first I ran AVG and it found some stuff so i got rid of it
I ran malwarebytes and it got rid of some stuff too.
I ran spybot s&D
I ran Hitman pro which got rid of some stuff
I ran TDSskiller, which finds nothing
ran Ccleaner

it still redirects me sometimes and i cannot figure it out.

Many people are having success with a program called ComboFix, but i've never used it.

Also found this on an official google forum board:
"I had almost the exact same problem today and none of my anti-spyware programs (SpyBot, AdAware, MalwareBytes, Housecall) could fix it. Fortunately, I found the solution on another board. As a little bit of background, viruses sometimes will alter your "hosts" file, which is basically a file that controls the redirecting for your browsers (specifically, this file makes it faster for your computer to convert URLs into the relevant IP addresses by having a shortcut list of IP addresses instead of having to look them up when you type in the URL).

Anyway, enough background, here's what you need to do to fix:

(1) Click START > RUN > and type in "C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts"
(2) When prompted, open the HOSTS file in either Notepad or Wordpad
(3) Delete all the lines of IP addresses in the text document except for "127.0.0.1 localhost".

If you find several lines of IP numbers other than localhost in your hosts file, then this is almost definitely your problem and will be fixed right away. If not, then this probably isn't the issue, but it's worth a look."

Which had 11 feedback ratings of success.

I didnt recommend Combofix cause it is an advanced tool, used wrong it can turn your PC into a door stop.

Many people are having success with a program called ComboFix, but i've never used it.

Also found this on an official google forum board:
"I had almost the exact same problem today and none of my anti-spyware programs (SpyBot, AdAware, MalwareBytes, Housecall) could fix it. Fortunately, I found the solution on another board. As a little bit of background, viruses sometimes will alter your "hosts" file, which is basically a file that controls the redirecting for your browsers (specifically, this file makes it faster for your computer to convert URLs into the relevant IP addresses by having a shortcut list of IP addresses instead of having to look them up when you type in the URL).

Anyway, enough background, here's what you need to do to fix:

(1) Click START > RUN > and type in "C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts"
(2) When prompted, open the HOSTS file in either Notepad or Wordpad
(3) Delete all the lines of IP addresses in the text document except for "127.0.0.1 localhost".

If you find several lines of IP numbers other than localhost in your hosts file, then this is almost definitely your problem and will be fixed right away. If not, then this probably isn't the issue, but it's worth a look."

Which had 11 feedback ratings of success.
Was going to suggest checking out the Hosts file. Only thing is, before modifying it, you have to take ownership of the file otherwise it won't let you edit it.

I didnt recommend Combofix cause it is an advanced tool, used wrong it can turn your PC into a door stop.

I wouldn't say a doorstop... just requiring you to reinstall the OS more than likely. Not like it's going to brick your motherboard :p.

Back
Top Bottom