PC won't connect w/o System restore

Thresh25

Daemon Poster
So on Friday night I came home and turned my PC on and it asked me if my network was public/home/work. I thought it was odd but made the selection and then tried to get on the internet and it wouldn't work. In the bottom right where it shows that I'm connected with ethernet it said "internet access" as though I was connected.

Eventually I did a system restore to the previous day and then it worked Friday night, all day Saturday, and all day Sunday. This morning however I had the same thing happen and then had to do a system restore again to get my internet working. Anyone know what's going on?

Thanks in advance.

Check Windows Updates and see if it's automatically downloading/installing an ethernet driver for your system.

I've got 56 optional updates but none of them appear to be directly related to that as far as what I can tell anyways.

Also, my ethernet board on my mobo went out awhile back so I'm using a PCI ethernet card, if that makes any difference

I've got 56 optional updates but none of them appear to be directly related to that as far as what I can tell anyways.

Also, my ethernet board on my mobo went out awhile back so I'm using a PCI ethernet card, if that makes any difference

Make sure your driver for it is up to date. Go to the manufacturer's webpage and check for an update.

As for the Windows updates... you could try installing one at a time (or groups of them) and seeing which one causes the issue.

The PCI ethernet card has worked perfectly fine for months, would the lack of a driver update cause it to all of a sudden stop working?

And since the windows updates are all optional, they shouldn't be automatically downloaded should they? In other words since I haven't been downloading them that shouldn't be what's causing the issue right?

Not trying to question your advice, just trying to trouble shoot before I take the time to download one at a time.

The PCI ethernet card has worked perfectly fine for months, would the lack of a driver update cause it to all of a sudden stop working?
Conflicts can randomly pop up.

And since the windows updates are all optional, they shouldn't be automatically downloaded should they? In other words since I haven't been downloading them that shouldn't be what's causing the issue right?

Not trying to question your advice, just trying to trouble shoot before I take the time to download one at a time.

Depends on what your settings for Windows Update are.

Did you install anything on Sunday? What did System Restore say it reverted?

One thing you should checjk when it happens, Update MAY be enabling the onboard Ethernet as the one for interned, When it happens go into control panel and make sure the onboard Ethernet is disabled.

One thing you should checjk when it happens, Update MAY be enabling the onboard Ethernet as the one for interned, When it happens go into control panel and make sure the onboard Ethernet is disabled.

How exactly do I do that? Specifically, where to do I go?

Back
Top Bottom