Trying to create a website

joeyconnor

Beta member
Hey guys, I'm brand new to this site and creating my own website.
Im trying to create a website for my dads business and I am familiar with coding a website and all that stuff, but I have no idea how to go about purchasing a domain name. I've been to websites like GoDaddy and NetworkSolutions but they all say $x.xx/Mo. "/Mo" meaning per month of course. Does this mean I would have to pay x amount of money per month to keep the website up? Or just to have my account with GoDaddy or NetworkSolutions? And what is the best site to be buying a domain name from? My dad wants it to be simple; www.[I]sitename[/I].com
So thanks for all your help guys!

there's two separate costs involved. the domain registration (known as buying the domain name) and the web hosting. domain names are typically registered for x number of years at a time and are usually pretty cheap 5-15 a year. Then, you'll need to buy / find a webhost. Amazon EC2 has a free tier available. I would look there first. However, it's usually conveinent to buy both services with the same vendor.

Where to Register a Domain - The Best Domain Registrars - A List of Domain Registrars

I've been with godaddy and NS and haven't had the best experience with either company. The worst of which is Network Solutions. Hostmonster is the one I'm with now, and It's the best one I've used so far.

I think when they say $x.xx per-mo, they aren't talking about an entire package deal, (domain and web-space,) but just the web space. It really depends on the service. For example:

HostMonster - Web Hosting

On their front page, they're just talking about the web space. (I.E.. where the website is being hosted.) Domains are paid for separately, and they're $10.00 each. You can have multiple domain-names pointing to the same web-space and they will look like entirely different websites.

Be careful when registering with any hosting service, because a lot of them try to trick new customers into paying a year's worth of hosting, regardless of what they advertise. Not saying a year's paid hosting is bad, (I pay mine 3 years at a time,) but just make sure you're paying the way you want to pay.

I usually use GoDaddy, it may not be the best but it does the job for me. To register ANY domain name you will need to pay a monthly or yearly fee to hold onto it.

Back
Top Bottom