Need help from the ground up with building a server

Carbonwyre

Beta member
I am looking to get started in webhosting with a site like HostHorde. The problem is I have no idea where to start.
What type of machine do I need?
Can I use a personal computer as a dedicated server and link it to my IP?
How would I do that?
What kind of software would I need to have a user interface that allows access like that?

Last edited by a moderator:
Web hosting or Minecraft server hosting? ISP's block residential lines from opening port 80, so web hosting is pretty much moot.

Minecraft server hosting is a different story though. I built and host my own server (mc.ifargle.com, not very active except in the summer when me and about 15 friends play)

As for the type of machine, mine is an AMD A10 quad core, 8GB RAM, 64GB SSD and it gives me plenty of power to run a multiworld server (creative, survival, and a flat creative world)

I run Linux Mint 14 on it headless (only power and ethernet plugged in) and ssh into it for access to the files, console, etc

Are you planning on running it on Linux? Do you have Linux experience? If not, I can show you how I have mine set up. It's a relatively simple set up, easy to set up with crontab and a few basic bash scripts.

EDIT: I just realized this thread was from December of last year... oh well :tongue:

Last edited:
Many real ISPs will not block ports.
If your connection is thru some latecomer like AT&T or ComCast then yes they might block the ports needed to run a server. You definitely should check with them before going too far down this road.

Mine is thru Sonic.net which I love because they do things the old internet way. True dual dns, true alt mailservers, a shell machine, motd's, all ports open.

If you want to become a hosting company I advise against it and can tell you it will simply be a loss of money.

If you want to make your own private server, a desktop machine with a good quad-core, 4 to 8GB RAM and enough HDD to store the data.
OS is based on what you are hosting.

The only issue you may have is the speed of your internet. It may not be fast enough based on what you need.

Back
Top Bottom