Internet Pricing and Availability

Pyrothrillah

In Runtime
I currently reside in south MS and have my internet through my phone company (Franklin Telephone Company) and they require that I pay for phone service in addition to my internet rates.

First things first my internet is well below par in comparison. I pay $55 bucks a month in addition to around $30 for my phone line that I have never not once had a landline phone hooked up to nor will I ever. I have the top tier of residential internet with them which nets me "blazing fast speeds" of 8down and .85 up.

There is absolutely NO competition in the area which is why they are able to charge whatever they want for internet. They have horrible customer support that literally do NOT know the difference between upload and download. I've tried to contact managers (if this hick company even has one), but they will not patch me through. I've been to the office and asked politely as possible and via phone.

I have no control over my modem (the will not give me a user and pass to access my port options) and they also will not allow me to purchase their business package which is a whopping 10 down 2 up and much higher than the current rate I am paying now.

My objective for obtaining faster upload speeds is mainly due to I livestream on TwitchTV and it's crucial for maintaining smooth and tolerable video. I've called every ISP imaginable and tried my hardest to get something different in this areal; however no luck yet.

The internet they sell is called SnapNet. I'm not sure if they simply act as a reseller or if it's something they created. You can visit Franklin Telephone Company, Bude, Mississippi to see more about it (their website is about 2 years outdated and looks to be designed by a toddler).

My question to you is: What should I do in order to get better internet? I honestly don't want to pay MORE but in all seriousness I would pay more for faster upload. I've yet to threaten them with cancelling my service however; I'd be without internet if they were to call my bluff. Any advice you can give would be greatly appreciated as I have yet to come up with any myself.

Thanks

I'm surprised that your upload speed is as low as it is. The only time I had such a large difference between download/upload speeds is when I was using satellite as my ISP. I would love to have your download speed though.

I feel your pain as where I live there are not many options for internet. I currently pay $91 a month for a connection that is 1.5 down/up. I work from home so my employer pays for my connection, otherwise I couldn't justify paying that much. Up until about 6 months ago, my ISP was charging $160/month for that same connection.

Satellite might be an option for you but I don't think the large ping time would be acceptable and satellite providers generally have data restrictions that you may encounter. I had satellite about 10 years back and the upload speed was terrible, It's possible that they have improved a lot since then. When I first started using satellite it was down only, the uplink was via 56K modem!

It's highway robbery out here. Though with no competition in the area -- what can you expect? I've tried satellite internet in the past and it's just not worth it because of the unreliability and data caps.

I tried the link out and it shows no other available options for my area.

You can look into 3G - 4G but that's not cheap and I think it is capped also. You'll probably need to go through a cellular phone provider for service

Back
Top Bottom