How to stop a router's IP address from changing?

rjoetoe

Beta member
So I am a member of an online service where it is necessary for your ip to be in their database in order to get access. The problem is, every time I restart my router or lose power my ip address changes and I have to email the company to allow access for my ip again.

My question is, how do I stop the ip address from changing whenever I lose power? I know there is such a thing as a static address, which assigns a specific IP to each computer, however I want to set an ip (or at least keep my current one) for the entire router that does not change periodically. Is there a way to do this on verizon routers, if so, how? Thanks in advance!

You would need to contact your ISP about getting a static IP, which usually costs extra.

I work for a ISP, and we range from selling special circuits, DSL, Fiber to the home, and Wireless which we have about 15 remote towers. The funny thing is one day one of our customers thought he would get smart and he ended up putting a static ip add in his pc that was the ip add from our wireless ap unit. And he had no clue why it wasn't working lol.

Well, depending on the service, you will need to either ask your Internet Service Provider for a static IP address (some provide this for free, some charge, some will not do it), or you might be able to set up a dynamic dns service and register your hostname with your service instead of an IP address.

Dynamic DNS: lets you use something like mycomputer.service.com in place of 203.57.104.144

To set this up I recommend Managed DNS | Outsourced DNS | Anycast DNS or a service like it. The website will have the information to get you up and running. Be aware that you will need to configure your router and computer to keep the information up to date on their site.

Back
Top Bottom