How to change IP address

Status
Not open for further replies.

bagelred

In Runtime
Hey there, I'm sure this has been answered before, maybe someone can lead me to the right place. I need to change my IP address. I have Time Warner Cable internet and doesn't seem to be an easy way to change it. I called TWC and they said they can't do it??

Anyway, is there an easy way to change it? Unplugging modem/router doesn't work. Also, I don't have access to a modem site like I did with Verizon DSL, where I can see my modem information. TWC gave me an Arris DG860A modem/router. We have both wired and wireless computers hooked into this. I have a desktop and laptop both with Windows 7.

I read online that you can do it by changing the MAC address? What is that? Can someone explain? Teach me like I'm a a5 year old as I never deal with the router stuff at all. :)

Thanks for the help.

TWC will not change it unless you give them a very good reason. They are the only ones who can change it. You cant change it on your end.

A MAC address is like the VIN number on your car. That is tied to your Network card and is built into it. You cant change it. Despite what some sites say. Not unless you rip your network adapter out and replace it with a new one. That doesn't negate the fact that TWC still assigns you the IP address and that is what goes out to the world. So even if you do change your MAC, your IP will still be the same.

So you cant change it from your PC. It cant be done unless you hack the TWC service itself.

Last edited:
TWC releases IP's back into the pool if you disconnect your router for a few days. I disconnected mine for a few days and it reconnected with a different IP. Worth a try :tongue:

TWC releases IP's back into the pool if you disconnect your router for a few days. I disconnected mine for a few days and it reconnected with a different IP. Worth a try :tongue:

This.

@OP: IP's are leased out usually, and if the lease expires and your modem isn't plugged in, the IP will be assigned to a different person, and you should then have a different IP after plugging your modem back in.

Wow that is crazy. With Verizon DSL, I would literally just turn my modem on and off, and I'd have a new IP.

Maybe for your area. But not for me. I could disconnect my Modem for a month and still get the same IP. They assign me a new IP from time to time without me calling, but other than that I don't get a new one unless I can give a reason why.

When I was moving I had my modem disconnected for a whole month, plugged it back in at my old place and still had the same IP. It wasn't till I physically switched addresses that I switched IP's. Have had the same one here since I moved in and started service.

So there is no guarantee that just unplugging your modem will do it. It will depend on the area and number of IP's they have in the pool free for such things. For my area, that aint many. So they are very stingy.

Wow that is crazy. With Verizon DSL, I would literally just turn my modem on and off, and I'd have a new IP.

Yeah cause DSL is nothing more than super Dial Up. You now have to contend with cable which is a completely different service. IT isn't crazy when they have only a limited number of IP's to use and they are the only cable internet provider in the area. That means they have to have an IP open for all people who want service. Not an easy task when your limited to only a couple thousand IP's to start and there is more than that which want service.

Last edited:
I didn't want to create another thread for a similar question:
My modem gives the option for a static wan address, so that my outside ip will never change. But when I check that option, the modem loses internet, so I just have to uncheck it then it comes back. Is this something only TWC can enable as well?

I didn't want to create another thread for a similar question:
My modem gives the option for a static wan address, so that my outside ip will never change. But when I check that option, the modem loses internet, so I just have to uncheck it then it comes back. Is this something only TWC can enable as well?

You usually have to pay extra for a static IP from your ISP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom