Texting from your Mac

xerolen

In Runtime
I have seen people sending text messages off their mac. Not over imessage. They supposedly linked their iphones to there macbook pro over bluetooth then used a program that sends the text to the phone then the phone sends the text. Is this possible and if so how? If this isn't possible is there a way to text off my mac without using imessage? so to non ios/mac devices.

Macs/iPhones have a shared messenger that can be used to send text messages. My girlfriend does it all the time. I don't think you can use it on non-iOS devices.

You could use something like textnow.com, but that's still being worked on and it pretty glitchy. I recommend texting through a Yahoo account; that'd probably be the better option of the two.

to elrebrin: Thats iMessage.....That much I knew but I saw someone texting a non ios/osx device.
To Thorax The Impaler: 1. Awesome name (is it reference to bob from bob and Steve on xplay?) 2. I use text now on my iphone when I have wifi but no service. I still wanted to know if there was an app that can be used to text and receive texts. on the mac without using iMessage.

Well, you also have the ability to email phone numbers. For example, to text someone with your email, you could use 6548978524@vzw.com and it would text to that number using your email. That's one way to do it. I believe google also has online texting capabilities. Had a friend who swore by it.

to elrebrin: Thats iMessage.....That much I knew but I saw someone texting a non ios/osx device.
To Thorax The Impaler: 1. Awesome name (is it reference to bob from bob and Steve on xplay?) 2. I use text now on my iphone when I have wifi but no service. I still wanted to know if there was an app that can be used to text and receive texts. on the mac without using iMessage.

Don't know about iPhones, but on Android something similar can be done with something like Airdroid. You open it, start it, and if your phone/computer are on the same wifi network, it will allow you to connect to it via the private IP (with a password of course), and then you can pretty much manage your phone from a web browser (messages, photos, files, etc.).

Like I said, this is for Android though; not sure about iOS.

There's no apps I'm aware of that can do that for a Mac. You could try looking for a possible-existing Mac version of the app Talkatone....

Come on guys, it's called Skype. lol

It works on basically anything and it only requires an internet connection.

Don't know about iPhones, but on Android something similar can be done with something like Airdroid. You open it, start it, and if your phone/computer are on the same wifi network, it will allow you to connect to it via the private IP (with a password of course), and then you can pretty much manage your phone from a web browser (messages, photos, files, etc.).

Like I said, this is for Android though; not sure about iOS.
If you have an android phone and a Mac computer, you could use [FONT=&quot]MightyText
Just load the app on your phone and use the safari browser to send texts to other phones (it can send to ANY phone, ANY carrier, not just android[/FONT]).

I use this all the time, cause then it doesn't look like I'm texting. Also, it's very useful when I forget my phone at home, but I can still my texts and at least see who calls.

Last edited:
If you have an android phone and a Mac computer, you could use [FONT=&quot]MightyText
Just load the app on your phone and use the safari browser to send texts to other phones (it can send to ANY phone, ANY carrier, not just android[/FONT]).

I use this all the time, cause then it doesn't look like I'm texting. Also, it's very useful when I forget my phone at home, but I can still my texts and at least see who calls.
Wow.. nice way. But Which App you are talking about to download in iphone

Back
Top Bottom