Lame Mac Trojan limps into view - Tech & Computer Forums

Go Back   Tech & Computer Forums > Computer Software > Apple and Mac
Closed Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 09:00 AM   #1 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Send a message via ICQ to Osiris Send a message via AIM to Osiris Send a message via MSN to Osiris Send a message via Yahoo to Osiris
Default Lame Mac Trojan limps into view

Security researchers have uncovered a rare example of a Trojan that affects Mac PCs.
Lamzev-A creates a backdoor on compromised Mac OS-X systems. The malware typically disguises itself as video codec on dodgy websites. Mac users hoping to watch a clip from a grumble flick get infected instead, a trick carried out by the earlier RSPlug Mac Trojan.
Few have fallen for the bait. The malware is notable as a rare example of a malicious agent capable of infecting Apple systems rather than any threat that it poses, which is minimal. Previous examples of malware able infect Mac systems have included an Apple-variant of a scareware (fake anti-spyware) package and a Trojan, DNsChan-A, that detected whether it was attempting to infect either Windows or Mac systems before running the appropriate infection routine.
More details on the latest (minor) Mac OS-X security flap can be found in blog postings by Trend Micro here and Intego here.

Lame Mac Trojan limps into view ? The Register

Old 11-24-2008, 07:41 PM   #2 (permalink)
Private Joker

Send a message via AIM to carnageX Send a message via MSN to carnageX
Default Re: Lame Mac Trojan limps into view

Quote:
Originally Posted by seodeveloping View Post
That's interesting... so much for the "Mac is invincible" aura they've always had... wonder what will come next!
They've already had quite a few trojans and such come out for it, among other security vulnerabilities. They were the first to fall in Pwn2Own, afterall lol.

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
Old 11-24-2008, 10:45 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Send a message via AIM to Bretskate Send a message via MSN to Bretskate

I knew it was coming since Apple is gaining some marketshare.
Old 11-25-2008, 09:16 AM   #4 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Send a message via ICQ to Osiris Send a message via AIM to Osiris Send a message via MSN to Osiris Send a message via Yahoo to Osiris

Now 2 years ago when I would post something like this, you would be hammered by Apple fans, now you don't hear from them because it's become a reality.