apple OS questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

solidsteve

Daemon Poster
ok basicley i been looking at the apple OS x for a bit but i kine of got talked out of it because there wasent the amount of games i wanted for the OS

now my dad on the other hand is thinking would it be any good for a familey pc because the things my brothers and sisters use the pc for is music, viedos and flash games.

now we both have some questions that are bugging us so i thourght i would come here to ask people that would know

so here is a few questions, some might lead on to other questions

1. Can the OS be put on a normal (non apple) pc as in it gets put togeather and put on, we just dont have the money to pay for a mac

2.Whats the key features to the OS, we have always had windows so what would be the differances

3.Whats the internet use like on it and what sort of plugins dose it run for it i.e. java, flash ect

4.whats the virus securty like, what major things has it had wrong with it, we know that windows has the blue screen of death as a problem but thats kind or rare and it sufferes from a lot of spywear and trojens and stuf of the sort but how dose this fair with it

5. is it easy to get around the system in to files and programs and stuf

ok thats that for now there might be more later

1) No not legaly.
2) Nothing that can't be done in Linux or Vista.
3) Same as any modern OS.
4) Not as fast to patch fixes an security flaws (Osiris posted a thread no this recently)
5) About the same as windows, but getting used to the one mouse button takes some time.

But before you make the switch, see a mac up close an personal an use one for a little. I don't use mac's at home but I have had to learn a little about them in work.

The biggest thing about macs that most people misunderstand is that there is only one button mouse. The mac mightymouse actually has two buttons one on either side of the scroll wheel. You can change the settings to have the os register both buttons or change the configuration of them. I've also hooked up my Logitech MX Revolution and the OS recognized all of the buttons just fine.

I like my mac a lot, but they don't do games well, so I have my pc for that.

The Safari browser is one that I really like and actually use that on my pc as well.

The mac will also streamline better to your ipod or any other apple things that you may have.

My experiences of apple hardware is limited to the mac books, so the mighty mouse is a foren object to me.

on the answer to number 1 seems odd why would it not be legal to put it on a standard pc and not a mac

well thanks for replys

Illegal may be a poor choice of words on my part, I think it's in the apple TOS that there OS must run on apple hardware.

on the answer to number 1 seems odd why would it not be legal to put it on a standard pc and not a mac

well thanks for replys

Because OS X is designed ONLY for Macs. It is not designed to be put on to a regualr PC at all. Doing so is illegal. It violates Apple Terms of servie and the EULA (End User License Agreement) for the software.

Buying OS X outright will not allow you to install OS X on a PC. You will be missing many drivers and other such things. OS X is only made to work with the hardware that apple uses in its PC's.

Does that make it a little clearer on why you cant use OS X on a PC?

Because OS X is designed ONLY for Macs. It is not designed to be put on to a regualr PC at all. Doing so is illegal. It violates Apple Terms of servie and the EULA (End User License Agreement) for the software.

Buying OS X outright will not allow you to install OS X on a PC. You will be missing many drivers and other such things. OS X is only made to work with the hardware that apple uses in its PC's.

Does that make it a little clearer on why you cant use OS X on a PC?

yes it dose

1 question on that, if i go for a different version would it be the same as in not get OS X but go for the ones befor it

Yeah its the same for all versions of the Mac OS. They designed it so that the software only works with their hardware. Its even a problem with video cards in that they have to all be specially tweaked to run on the Mac OS.

ok thanks i'll show my family the mac mini desktop pc, it £400 on play.com at the moment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom