Slower Wired performance vs Wireless

TypoPanther

Beta member
Greetings,

So I joined this forum in hopes of tracking down the solution to something that's been bothering me about my computer setup.

The main area that I've noticed the issue is with streaming video. When I use the Wii or the Xbox 360, both of which are connected wirelessly, performance is great but whenever I try to stream from my PC which is connected directly into the router, I get very choppy and/or stop & go performance. I also have similar performance issues with some games.

It just seems very odd that I would have better performance off of other devices in my house that are connected to WiFi compared to the PC which is plugged directly in. I'm not sure if it's a software/configuration issue, or if it might be a hardware issue somewhere. Either way I need some help figuring it out.

My internet connection is CentryLink DSL @ 20 MBPS, router is provided by them and is an ActionTec C100A

My PC is running Windows 7
Networking is through the integrated Realtek PCIe on my Asus P8Z77-V LK, running the latest drivers that I could find.

Not sure what else might be helpful, but please let me know if there is anything and I'll provide it.

Thanks in advance for helping me get to the bottom of this!

When was the last time you've tried updating your ethernet drives? What is the model of your processor? And how many background programs do you have running?

So for what ever this is worth, when was the last time you did a malware scan, a disk defrag and a total security scan?

A lot of times this will help speed up the system but then doing a lot of gaming takes a lot of horse power.

When was the last time you've tried updating your ethernet drives? What is the model of your processor? And how many background programs do you have running?

I looked for updates for the ethernet before I posted here, looks like it hasn't changed for about 2 years now.

Intel Core i5 2500K @ 3.30GHz

Looks like about 10 background apps or so.

So for what ever this is worth, when was the last time you did a malware scan, a disk defrag and a total security scan?

A lot of times this will help speed up the system but then doing a lot of gaming takes a lot of horse power.

I do malware & virus scans often, doing them right now just in case though, disk defraged about 2 weeks ago.

That's never seemed to impact the streaming, this has been an issue since I first built the computer so I'm thinking it's some kind of a configuration issue, or something is interfering with the streaming, but I'm not sure where to start on that.

If you have AV on, disable that and try that first. If not, turn off all the background tasks running when trying to watch a movie.

Download the latest ethernet driver from the manufacturer website, then go to device manager and right click on your ethernet. Tell it to delete the driver and then reboot. Install the driver again to see if that clears the issue up as a last resort.

Dumb idea but worth asking - Are you using a CAT5 or CAT5e ethernet cable?

Also, in the case of board-integrated ethernet, often the only driver you need is your chipset.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom