Setting up a home network

Balolozano

Beta member
Hi guys, I am going to move to a new house and we would like to have really good internet speed in every room. I am living in Mexico and me and my family will change to a bigger house which would need different routers. In Mexico the houses are made of concrete and other hard materials which don't allow the WIFI signals to pass easily. We are going to have an ethernet cable that goes into every room, but I am not sure how to connect different routers for the same network. Also I would like to be able to print and do things like that in the network. What do you recommend? If you need more information just ask? What are my best options? Thanks for the help!

If you are running a either cable to every room, then just have them all come to one central location and put your master router there.

Why are you planing on using more then one router? Are these also wifi? If these are also wifi, then go into the settings and turn off the DHCP settings and now all devices will get there IP address from the main router.

Instead of all those routers, you should just have one switch with one router

+1 to this recommendation. Get a switch with enough ports that you can expand easily if you need to and have ethernet running to each room. You could run it through the walls and install ethernet wallplate jacks if you wanted then, too, to make it look nicer.

+1 to this recommendation. Get a switch with enough ports that you can expand easily if you need to and have ethernet running to each room. You could run it through the walls and install ethernet wallplate jacks if you wanted then, too, to make it look nicer.

This is what I'm hoping to do when I start running wires in my house.

Did you get enough information to know what you're going to do? I see a few people asked questions that weren't answered. I'd be interested to know how big the home will be and if you will be able to centrally locate your router. Also, will you have to run the wires on along the floor, or will you be able to drill through walls to run wires? The distance from your router to the furthest point you have to go (via the path the wires have to take) makes the difference on if you need multiple routers or not.

You could always go with powerline adapters instead of laying cable. A bit more expensive up front, but not cables in the way either.

A few of something like this:
TP-LINK TL-PA4010KIT High-speed AV 500Mbps Nano Powerline Adapter Starter Kit - Newegg.com

I used them for my sister-in-law. She has her office in an outbuilding (she teaches online). The router was in the house and the outbuilding was on a hillside above the house with a metal carport directly between the two. Boosting the router's output did not help her to get a decent signal in her office, nor did an external wifi adapter. The powerline adapters were the perfect solution as the outbuilding was connected to the house's electrical system.

You can run upto 300' of cat5 cable, not too many homes can exceed 300'

If you're running the lines along the edge of the walls, and you have to place a router at one end of the home, especially if you have multiple floors, yes, you may have rooms that you can't reach with one section of ethernet. I don't assume I know what someone wants to do, or what someone's working with - that's why I asked. Assumptions lead to misinformation.

You could always go with powerline adapters instead of laying cable. A bit more expensive up front, but not cables in the way either.

A few of something like this:
TP-LINK TL-PA4010KIT High-speed AV 500Mbps Nano Powerline Adapter Starter Kit - Newegg.com

I used them for my sister-in-law. She has her office in an outbuilding (she teaches online). The router was in the house and the outbuilding was on a hillside above the house with a metal carport directly between the two. Boosting the router's output did not help her to get a decent signal in her office, nor did an external wifi adapter. The powerline adapters were the perfect solution as the outbuilding was connected to the house's electrical system.

+1
I also did that for a metal pole barn too far from the house, it still works and it's been almost two years now

Back
Top Bottom