Router Web

RickTech

Beta member
Hello, I am new on this forum and have a question, long one but just one question. A little bit of story before my question.

I have 3 routers, named 1, 2,and 3. Router 1 is connected to my ISP modem. Routers 2, and 3 are connected to router 1 thru their WAN port to a LAN port on router 1.

I am able to connect to router 1 web interface from either router 2 or 3, here comes my question:

Is it possible to access router configuration for router 2 from router 3 or vice-versa? Each Router has different local IP so there is no conflict of IP with either router.

Please let me know if I make myself clear or it is confusing, then I will try to make it as clear as possible.

Thanks for your help on this matter.

Yes, you should just have to type in the local IP of router 2 or 3. You're on the same network no matter if you're connected to 1, 2, or 3 and should be able to connect to any of them.

Yes, you should just have to type in the local IP of router 2 or 3. You're on the same network no matter if you're connected to 1, 2, or 3 and should be able to connect to any of them.

Thanks for the prompt answer, remember that each router 2, and 3 are a network on its own both are connected on the same network (router 1).

For some reason I can not connect from 2 to 3 or 3 to 2.

You never said they were on their own network. You just said they're connected to the main router and each have their own IP (which to me means something like 192.168.1.1, 192.168.1.2, 192.168.1.3, etc...).

Are they on the same subnet?

Last edited:
It sounds like there are three different subnets and I'm guessing that these are home routers. If so, then router 1 would need static route entries to both the router 2 and 3 networks.

This opens up those networks to each other, so if you wanted to keep the traffic separated then you'd need access lists or something. I don't know if you could get that with custom firmware, but it's not available by default with consumer grade routers.

Router #1 is a consumer router with IP 192.168.1.1. Router #2 is a open firmware with IP 192.168.2.1. Router #3 is open firmware with IP 192.168.3.1.

All of them have a subnet of 255.255.255.0

Let me know if what I am trying to do is possible with this configuration or do I have to tweak something around?

I have ask, are all three routers using DHCP for the devices connected to them?

Also why do you need three differant routers?

If this is a small home network or even a small business network then a single router is much better.

If each router is assigning IPs, then when connected direct to that router, your device is in a different IP network and you can not connect across networks with out doing some setting changes in the routers and using normal consumer grade may not let you do that.

Remove routers two and three and just use one router.

Router #1 is a consumer router with IP 192.168.1.1. Router #2 is a open firmware with IP 192.168.2.1. Router #3 is open firmware with IP 192.168.3.1.

All of them have a subnet of 255.255.255.0

Let me know if what I am trying to do is possible with this configuration or do I have to tweak something around?

You need to add the following static routes to router 1:

192.168.2.0 255.255.255.0 via gateway 192.168.2.1
192.168.3.0 255.255.255.0 via gateway 192.168.3.1

As I said, if you're trying to separate traffic then this will undo that.

Also why do you need three differant routers?

If this is a small home network or even a small business network then a single router is much better.

I'm also curious about this. There's probably a better way to do things - for example, custom firmware should support the use of VLANs if traffic from different subnets needs to be separated.

Sorry for the late response guys, I appreciate your help. To satisfy your curiosity I use a VPN service for geographic content and to avoid my ISP throttling my internet for streaming and gaming services. So the question is
You need to add the following static routes to router 1:

192.168.2.0 255.255.255.0 via gateway 192.168.2.1
192.168.3.0 255.255.255.0 via gateway 192.168.3.1

As I said, if you're trying to separate traffic then this will undo that.
I believe this will kill my VPN correct?

I wouldn't think that it would affect your VPN, but it depends on how your VPN is set up. The tunnel itself won't change but your internal routing determines what actually travels through the VPN tunnel. I don't know what your internal routing looks like - most home networks don't have multiple subnets and I'm not sure why they would be needed for a VPN service.

Back
Top Bottom