optimization help 2 routers

TrioxinCorp

Solid State Member
I have two routers
Router D-link N150
Router Netgear N300
LapTop HP G6-2228nr w/ atheros AR5B125 wifi adapter, windows 8.1 6Gigs DDr3 ram, 320Gig sata HDD

I am having conectivity issues with my laptop my current configuration is as follower

Charter 60MBS direct line to Vonage phone, from Vonage Phone to D-Link N150, from D-link N150 on Port #1 is a desktop using 5ft cat5E, on port #4 is 50ft Cat5E that connect NetGear N300 router,
Wifi Devices connected to the D-Link N150 : Galaxy tab3 7" tab, Galaxy S2 Phoen, and Nokia lumina 521 windows phone.
form NetGear N300 I have only my Lap top connected wifi, and sometimes Hardwired.

My problem is that my wifi, and hardwired speeds on my laptop bearly break 3Mbs download, the upload is constant 4-6Mbs,
I got my speeds up to 51MBS wifi and hardwired by reinstalling the atheros drivers form the HP website, uninstalled the wifi drivers then installed off the package, worked for a good 20 minutes,
then kaput..... I have restored my laptop to factory defualts, and same thing,
went in to the adapter and unchecked the " allow to put device to sleep"

My question is two part
(A) is the setting I am using good, I have everything set to defualts on both routers, if not can you suggest setitngs on each router that I should use

(B) how can I fix my conectivity on my laptop I have tried every thing with in my knowledge of windows and fixing laptops, I am otu of ideas on what to do. I dont have the money to go out and get more hardware or to be able to replace my laptop or even to get a wifi card...

Thanks

In all honesty it sounds like you are having routing issues BECAUSE you are using two home class routers on the same network... Go into the settings of the Netgear router, turn DHCP off, and turn the AP mode on.
What is the IP scheme your network is using? 192.168.0.xxx or 192.168.1.xxx? Make sure the D-Link is set to be using 192.168.X.1 and the Netgear is 192.168.X.2. Replace the X with which ever number follows your network addressing scheme.
In all honesty you would have been better off with just a repeater or an actual access point instead of a second router that is doing nothing but passing and possibly interfering with traffic. It's also possible the Netgear router is dieing... Have had a lot of Netgear routers fizzle out on me lately, including an earlier Nighthawk model. Seems QC for them has gone downhill since my first purchase from them in 2009.

Also, on the netgear router, make sure nothing is plugged upto the WAN port on it, only ports 1-4 should be used if it isn't your gateway.

Last edited:
I am wanting the seperate networks,
I want to seperate the traffic, the D-Link is used for the desktop, tablet, and chromecast.

the NetGear is used for LapTop and My Phones, I will have soon hooked up to NetGear at least 1 tower, and a modded IBM T43 laptop.

Would installing a a Linksys 8port work group switch at the modem help then divide the line to the two seperate routers to provide seperate networks?

I am having to navigate through the D-link and figure otu how to change channel it runs on form auto matic to a certian channel, the Netgear is is easy,

I have figure out that the speed issue is form my laptop, I messed around and hooked up a HP Mini to the Net Gear, both WiFi and Port, and it had speeds wifi of 17-25Mbs, and hard wired 51-62Mbs, so I also hooked up the other notbook, and laptop both had good speeds connecting to both routers both wireless and wired.

I am not sure what the problem is, I have windows 8, when it updated to 8.1 my network both ethernet and wifi have limited conectivity issues.
I am looking in to another Wifi Adapter, yet it doesnt account for my ethernet port.
I am pretty sure it is a driver issue, or the install of the win 8 and it reciving the update to 8.1 I am debating on installing Win 8.1 Professional CE yet I have more reaserch to do with the driver compability, and being able to run my programs normally,

Why have the two separate networks...? That's almost pointless in a home environment, especially when going through the same gateway... It's not truly separating traffic.

Aside from that, it could just be the wireless adapter it self not communicating with the Netgear router properly.

I have it to seclude my school, and my other systems form everyone else.

I am going to install windows embedded 8.1 with update industry. I am not sure how ti will work probley have a lot of configuring like running a server as a desktop OS, but it will be a non upgraded version form windows 8-8.1

If this doesnt fix the connectivity issues then I am going to purchase a new wifi card, I will keep you posted. and thanks for the help, I am considering of using it as a passthrough.

but turning off DHCP does that prevent me from plugging in hardwire my other decives ?

If you are using the routers to separate your network like that, leave DHCP on, on both of them. But both routers must be using different IP address schemes entirely that way they aren't conflicting with each other, and you aren't having routing issues. If both routers are 192.168.0.1 on the network, you can get some strange traffic problems. So make sure they are both on entirely different networks.

Another thing to understand, if both wireless routers are on, they will always conflict with each other on the 2.4Ghz band, thus slowing things down for wireless devices, if possible set one to a lower channel, and another on a higher channel to help separate traffic, also, check the other 2.4Ghz devices in the area to see what channel they operate at. That is, if you have neighbors or see other 2.4Ghz wireless access points in your location

Thanks, I am going to check on the IP I belive one is .1.1 and the other is .0.1,

I installed windows embedded 8.1 industry pro with update, so far havent had any issues with the network, I have chanel for wireless set to one where there is no other wifi currently.

I am thinking of adding a PF Sense box from Modem to each router. yet I belive that is overkill,

If you do it right, PFSense can be rather enjoyable, especially if you throw SQUID into the mix... You wouldn't need two of those routers either at that point, as PFSense would let you create two entirely different subnets...

SQUID is a package you install inside of PFSense, it's pretty straight forward, just read the online guides for it and you should be good to go on that front, just be aware of your hardware and the settings you input on it... It's a cache proxy server, and if setup right, you can cache a lot of content locally to your network, and it will help your internet feel faster, though at 60Mbps, I doubt you would notice much difference. But on a 10Mbps satellite connection, it makes the connection feel a ton faster when things come to a crawl due to congestion on the satellite.

Me personally, my PFSense install has a 250GB HDD cache, with 10GB files as the maximum size, and the RAM cache is at 16GB currently, with 512MB files as the maximum size. But, you need to have some rather hefty hardware for having that kind of caching.

Back
Top Bottom