Networking two machines Win7 and Win XP

BadDisciple

Baseband Member
Hail all,

Please help me with struggling to put two machines in network through ethernet.

1. I've got an AMD-8Core-4GHz-8GBRAM machine with Windows 7 64bit and an old INTEL DualCore-2GHz-2GBRAM laptop machine with Windows XP Pro 32bit.
2. I've connected them through ethernet cards and through a Ethernet switch with two bi-directional ethernet cables. The switch shows high indications for both.
3. I've made the computer names to be the same.
4. After all, I can only see the files of the Win7 machine in the WinXP laptop
and these ONLY as "read only" files, so I can't work on them.
But I see nothing of the WinXP laptop in the Win7 machine.
5. When unpluging-repluging the ethernet cables the laptop says:
"unable to assign IP address to the compuer". Windows can't fix it.

I need to work with the two machines in both directions.
Could anyone throw some light in the labyrinth?

(If I try to connect both computers through Wi-Fi, it doesn't work as well.
I possibly don't have the correct settings there. But I prefer ethernet.)

Thanks in advance!

Are you only using a switch for this connection? My guess is that there is no connection between the two because ip address leasing or no DHCP server. You can either statically assign which is easiest. Or using a wireless router to issue ip addresses which has a DHCP server built in. Also, if the computer names are the same than that can be a problem. Could you tell us the ip address of each computer?

Are you only using a switch for this connection? My guess is that there is no connection between the two because ip address leasing or no DHCP server. You can either statically assign which is easiest. Or using a wireless router to issue ip addresses which has a DHCP server built in. Also, if the computer names are the same than that can be a problem. Could you tell us the ip address of each computer?

Thanks for answering!
- Yes, I use two of the 5 ports of a desktop switch (or hub?).
- In fact, I made a mistake saying the "computer names" are the same - the workgroups names (!) are the same (as suggested)! I've got different computer names of course. :)
- I'm not sure how to statically assign IP address...
- My (public) IP addresses, as seen from Intenet, are the same for both my Win7 and my WinXP computers: <edited out>. I don't know where to see the privte ones for each computer...

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for answering!
- Yes, I use two of the 5 ports of a desktop switch (or hub?).
- In fact, I made a mistake saying the "computer names" are the same - the workgroups names (!) are the same (as suggested)! I've got different computer names of course. :)
- My (public) IP addresses, as seen from Intenet, are the same for both my Win7 and my WinXP computers: <edited out>. I don't know where to see the privte ones for each computer...

Win7: Control Panel -> Networking and Sharing Center -> Network Connections -> right click your ethernet device -> Properties -> highlight IPv4 -> Properties -> you can assign the static IP there

XP: Control Panel -> Network Connections -> right click ethernet device -> Properties -> Highlight IPv4 -> Proeprties -> assign static IP here

To see what the current IP address is:
open up Command Prompt -> type "ipconfig /all" (without quotes) -> Press Enter -> Scroll up to find your Local Area Network Ethernet Adapter IP.

Win7: Control Panel -> Networking and Sharing Center -> Network Connections -> right click your ethernet device -> Properties -> highlight IPv4 -> Properties -> you can assign the static IP there

XP: Control Panel -> Network Connections -> right click ethernet device -> Properties -> Highlight IPv4 -> Proeprties -> assign static IP here

To see what the current IP address is:
open up Command Prompt -> type "ipconfig /all" (without quotes) -> Press Enter -> Scroll up to find your Local Area Network Ethernet Adapter IP.

Thanks a lot for your prompt reply. I've found the dialogs in both computers that say: "Obtain IP address automatically" or "Use the following IP address".
The first is choosen. Shoul'd I check the second? But I'm still not sure what IP address I must put, whatever numbers (?), in what format (?), and should it be the same for both computers?
Thanks again for guiding me!

Can you please tell us the ip addresses of each computer are?

Thanks again for answering! So, recapitulation:
- I use two of the 5 ports of a desktop switch (or hub?).
- The workgroups names (!) are the same (as suggested)!
- My (public) IP addresses, as seen from Internet, are the same for both my Win7 and my WinXP computers: <removed>
- I found The Ethernet IP addresses for each computer and they both start with 169. 254. ... ... but end differently. Do you ask me to copy them here exactly or just to tell me if I need to make them be the same?
- I can see from my Win XP machine the Win7 machine as a connection.
- I can see + open from my Win XP machine files of my Win 7 but I can't save them back -- it says they are "read only" etc...
- I see my XP machine from my Win7 machine! But it CAN'T connect with the XP machine!! Win7 says "it can't find it" !?
- Also, in my XP machine in "View network connections" I see for 'Local Area Connection' status: "Limited or no connectivity" ! And it can't be repaired, saying "Windows cannot do... the following action ... Renewing your IP address"
- I am the ONLY user for both Win7 and XP machines.

Last edited:
Please read this guide and follow it through.
How to Assign a Static IP Address in Windows 7, 8, XP, or Vista
- I see NOTHING of my XP machine from my Win7 machine. I even don't see my XP machine as connection there.
- Also, in my XP machine in "View network connections" I see for 'Local Area Connection' status: "Limited or no connectivity" ! And it can't be repaired, saying "Windows cannot do... the following action ... Renewing your IP address"

I know you said you prefer you not do wireless but in your situation I think that would be your best while networking different windows machine.

Let me ask you somethings.
1.What router do you have is this connected to your main windows machine "7" via through ethernet ?
2.For the wireless if use any adapters or built in wirless nics what kind do you have ?
3.Do you have a firewall or amu windows firewall enabled on both systems while trying to setup your connection ?
4.On your router check the settings and tell us what wireless range you have ?
Read this also so you can get a better grasp at todays wireless standards for networking.
Wireless B vs G vs N vs AC | What Is The Difference?

I'll be honest here but networking between windows xp - windows 7 can be a daunting problem over time.
I suggest you upgrade the pc with xp to windows 7 89.99 for windows 7 home premium on newegg.com.
Least you"ll have 2 win 7 machine being to able to see each other on network and be able to communicate much easier.

- My (public) IP addresses, as seen from Internet, are the same for both my Win7 and my WinXP computers: <removed>
Please don't post your public IP. If somebody wanted to, that's how they can attack your network from over the internet.

- I found The Ethernet IP addresses for each computer and they both start with 169. 254. ... ... but end differently. Do you ask me to copy them here exactly or just to tell me if I need to make them be the same?
A 169.x.x.x address means that it could not get a proper IP. Is your switch hooked up to your router or the internet at all?

- I can see from my Win XP machine the Win7 machine as a connection.
- I can see + open from my Win XP machine files of my Win 7 but I can't save them back -- it says they are "read only" etc...
You need to setup permissions. Right click the folder on the Win7 machine you want to share -> Properties -> Sharing tab -> Advanced sharing -> check 'Share this folder' -> click Permissions -> make sure "Everyone" has Full Control permissions.

You also need to setup File and Printer sharing on WinXP. Brief overview: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/...computers-running-different-windows=windows-7

- I see my XP machine from my Win7 machine. But it CAN'T connect with it !

You need to have an IP address for both systems before they can do any kind of networked activity. If your switch is connected to a router, it should give out IP's automatically. So is your switch just sitting standalone, or is it hooked up to your router/modem?

Let me ask you somethings.
1.What router do you have is this connected to your main windows machine "7" via through ethernet ?
2.For the wireless if use any adapters or built in wirless nics what kind do you have ?
3.Do you have a firewall or amu windows firewall enabled on both systems while trying to setup your connection ?
4.On your router check the settings and tell us what wireless range you have ?
Read this also so you can get a better grasp at todays wireless standards for networking.
Wireless B vs G vs N vs AC | What Is The Difference?

I'll be honest here but networking between windows xp - windows 7 can be a daunting problem over time.
I suggest you upgrade the pc with xp to windows 7 89.99 for windows 7 home premium on newegg.com.
Least you"ll have 2 win 7 machine being to able to see each other on network and be able to communicate much easier.

Thanks for your feedback,
Starting from your last suggestion, my XP machine is an old INTEL DualCore-2GHz-2GBRAM laptop. I think it will be too weak for standing with Win 7... am I wrong? Also, I have good older software that I still use and that doesn't work on Win7 !

Next, your questions.
1.My wireless router is Belkin54g, not connected through Ethernet. Each of my computers has a wireless adapter to connect with it for Internet.
2.Adapters: the Intel laptop (Win XP): Intel Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN , the AMD desktop (Win 7): 300Mbps Wireless USB (bought few months ago).
3.Firewalls, I think allowing the two connections, not sure if there's any special hint.
4.Router data: belkin54g, Band 802.11g, Operational mode Network, Open, Incription WEP, Access point in this NEtwork g 3 ...BSSID number...

In fact, till now I've made it that the two computers see each other in "Network" (but not in the "Homegroup"). The XP one only opens files as "read only" and can't save them (in Win7 I've enabled the folder to share). The Win7 sees the XP laptop but says "CAN'T connect to it"...

Finally if Ethernet is so hectic and won't work, I may try to go through the Wireless router but I work with sensitive audio and video recording, so I'm not sure how good that solution would be. Ethernet is suggested as best for such work, isn't it?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom