need insight. WSE 2012 home network

franky402

Beta member
Hi all, just joined here because i need a little info to make sure i hook up everything ok. And maybe advice on switching something up.

Im building a home server tomorrow that will be running windoze server essentials 2012 r2. The rig will have an i7-4770k, 8gb ddr3 2400, 256 SSD, 2TB sata hdd. Its going to run the entire home network with DA and RWD. The house has cable and internet through the local isp and they have a MoCA adapter alongside the modem.

Basically the coax comes into the MoCA adapter, then the out/stb on the MoCA runs into the cable modem/wireless router with 4 lan ports.. One goes to the MoCA adapter, another goes to a 4 port gigabit hub, one goes to the computer at that desk, and the other one is running somewhere else. Off of the hub he has a run going to the garage/office computer, one that runs to a linksys e1500 wireless router set up as a different network basically.

Atm multiple computers will have random issues resolving hosts, timing out and all together poor network quality. The connection is testing at 30Mbps so i know the connection is solid, however the cluster $%^ networking is slowing stuff down. So he has asked me to come in and fix up the network while adding a way to run quickbooks wherever and have something secure and functional.

So basically my goal here is to be able to connect everyone to the network via wireless (big old house with plaster and lath) and the main computers will be hardwired for reliability. My question is exactly how should i wire everything up to work the best. I do have access to 2? extra wireless routers.

parts list i have is: linksys wrt something wireless n gigabit router
another cisco wireless n router
and standard cable modem with one rj-45 port. (forgot brand)
Gigabit 4 port hub
linksys e1500 wireless n router

From checking model #s yesterday i dont believe any of the routers support bridge mode which kinda sucks for me.

So to reiterate i need one network with the server at the core and wireless broadcasted throughout the house using two wireless routers bridged together. Should i be using the server as the dhcp controller? If i do does that make a difference in wiring/hardware config? i imagine this would be more stable. I want to use domain access so computers can be managed easier and any user can use any computer with thier login. How do i wire this setup for the best results. We can move the modem and MoCA adapter to the basment where the feed comes in and start branching out from there. Also with this setup will regular devices be able to access the network and use internet just fine. I dont need them to connect to the domain. thanks guys for all the help in advance.

I know my way around a computer and know networking to an extent but this is the first time taking on something like this so i wanted to make sure. Any extra questions ask away ill be checking this thread like a hawk lol.

Back
Top Bottom