Linksys users read up!

PP Mguire

Build Guru
If you're using a modern Linksys router check your webgui to see if Linksys has forced Smart Wifi on you. You have the option to revert back to your older firmware, or keep it. This re-enabled WPS which is a big security issue for these routers! The fact that they would automatically update my **** ****es me off to no end (no I did not have auto update enabled). :mad:

If you're using a modern Linksys router check your webgui to see if Linksys has forced Smart Wifi on you. You have the option to revert back to your older firmware, or keep it. This re-enabled WPS which is a big security issue for these routers! The fact that they would automatically update my **** ****es me off to no end (no I did not have auto update enabled). :mad:

I didn't even know that any of the Linksys routers had an auto-update for firmware o_O

By chance know what series this started with or what "modern" is?

Doesn't really matter to me either way, since any Linksys routers I have are running DD-WRT... and my primary router is now an Asus RT-n66u.

But agreed..that's really dumb of them to do.

I think the earliest one would be the WRT120N but don't quote me on that. Basically all the Cisco based flat routers up from what I'm to understand. I would be using DDWRT but my E4200 is a rev 1 and has a different chipset that can't be used with DDWRT.

And yea all of these newer Linksys routers have an option to auto update the firmware and I had mine checked off.

Turns out I have a V2 which is not DDWRT compatible, my bad on that.

Anyways so I got the regular firmware from Linksys and guess what, my router will not route internet traffic. I'm so damn ****ed at this ****. Spent 150 bucks 2 years ago for this damn thing and it's been fine. When I found out V2 didn't support DDWRT I was even fine with that because the firmware was pretty reasonable. Now I have an overglorified "smart" switch that can't ****ing route. Windows Icon says I have internet on each PC but phones show no net access. Light on the modem is blinking but nope, nothing. MTU settings, manual IP, manual DNS, release/renew, nothing. 30s all around does nothing including grounding out the coax. Think I might give up for the day and try tomorrow when I don't have 3 people bugging me for internet and a whiney 2 year old just being a 2 year old.

Ok well I am now using my E4200 but I had to jump some hoops to do it. Had to put WAN in bridge mode to piggy back off the 54g but it works. Just disabled wireless on the 54g and now I'm back to Gigabit and Wireless N.

Back
Top Bottom