Internetbrowser stops working (and other things as well)

demondoder3

Beta member
Heya, Belgian guy here, hoping maybe you guys can help me.

So, lately my 6 months old PC (Windows 8.1, Geforce GTX760,...) is having some odd issues. Almost every time, after a while, google chrome (and other browsers) can't connect to the internet anymore, not 1 page. Other applications that use internet (game clients, videos IN game clients, online games,...) work perfectly.
Also when this happens Ctrl+Alt+Del doesn't work, and neither does shutdown/log off/restart. The only way to solve this is to (hard)reset the PC, and I hate doing this.. it's almost as if I'm hurting my precious :/

Please help, I'll be forever in your gratitude

:)

I would run malware scans with the software named malwarebytes and super antispyware

then I would uninstall and reinstall the internet browsers and try again.

if it happens again, I would check windows event viewer for clues.

Used the scans, put some items in quarantaine, and i noticed that when it happens, nothing really showed up in the event log :/

Having internet access but not being able to bring up webpages is usually a DNS problem - however, this shouldn't have any effect on Ctr+Alt+Del or your shutdown options.

Can you bring up these webpages when you use the ip address instead of the domain name?
Google: 173.194.115.51 or 173.194.115.32
Yahoo: 98.139.183.24

If you can then you've got a problem with DNS and you should switch DNS servers - try Google's public DNS at 8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4.

I don't know off the top of my head what could be causing your shutdown options to not work, but another way to shut your PC off is to open a command prompt (elevated, I think) and use the shutdown command. Type "shutdown" and it should list all the switches for the command. That's just a temporary workaround for shutting the machine off without cutting the power.

Back
Top Bottom