Internet upload speed throttled

ScratchFrog

Beta member
Hey everyone! I'm new here so pardon me if I somehow missed a similar topic elsewhere on the forums or if I have made a poor choice in posting this here.

I recently moved to a new apartment and got set up with Comcast Xfinity; I'm using a Motorola Surfboard SB6121 modem, and a DLink Router DIR-655 (hardware version B1, current firmware) to access the web.

Speeds, particularly download speeds, seem very good: on speedtest.net I get just under 30MBps down and just over 5MBps up. However, on P2P clients such as torrenting software, and hosting websites such as YouTube and Google Drive, I get terrible upload speed despite using a wired connection for my desktop PC. On YouTube, I get an average of 18-20kbps up, and on Google Drive it's just as bad if not worse. What can I do to diagnose the issue since speed testing websites consistently don't see it? Not sure where to start.

Comcast is probably throttling your P2P traffic.

I assume when you mean "hosting websites" you mean uploading videos/content to those services? It's possible that it sees you're taking up a lot of upload bandwidth and they're throttling based on that as well.

Yeah I'd considered that since they want to market the bigger upload speed packages to their business clientele. That said, is there any way to test this for certain? Or is there a way to mask this information so that they don't throttle my upload speed? I pay for 5MBps up, so it's very disappointing that they would impose such a strict bottleneck like this if that's what's happening. :annoyed:

What time of the day are you trying to do this? I don't see why they would throttle a tiny 5Mb at all. Download sure, but not upload. If you're trying to do this during peak hours that might be it. Otherwise you might need to call up some of the worst CS in America to figure out why.

What time of the day are you trying to do this? I don't see why they would throttle a tiny 5Mb at all. Download sure, but not upload. If you're trying to do this during peak hours that might be it. Otherwise you might need to call up some of the worst CS in America to figure out why.
Just don't mention the P2P issues is all...lol. Mentioning YouTube is fine.

It's literally all times of the day. Obviously I'm not gonna mention P2P to my ISP, but yeah I might just have to call them. Then again I don't see any reason why they would be honest about this if they're the ones doing it in the first place. I might place calls to DLink and Motorola first to make sure I don't have any settings messing with it. Increasing the uplink speed on my router seems to have alleviated things SLIGHTLY but I'm still only capping out at about 40kbps uploading to any specific location (youtube, each torrent in my p2p client, google drive etc.)

I might get a slap on the wrist for this, but if you're seeding illegal files, just don't. Mentioning or not, they know and eventually you'll get cease and desist letters. As to the other two they will probably tell you to power refresh all of your devices and/or reset your router.

Back
Top Bottom