Intermittent Wifi Problem

AJM1996

Beta member
Hoping somebody could help me out with an issue I've been having. I have an HP laptop running Windows 8.1 and I keep losing wifi connection (despite it saying I'm still connected) and I've tried tons to fix it. I will be connected fine and then no pages will just start loading anymore where all other devices are fine. I'm lead to believe this is called intermittent wifi. I've tried updating/reinstalling drivers, fixing the power management on the drivers, changing network channels and stuff like that but no luck. I've actually fixed it once or twice and it's been fine for a month or two but keeps coming back (and I'm not sure exactly what fixed it each time). I've tried the HP online chats but they weren't much help. It fixes when I run HP Assistant or if I type "ipconfig /flushdns" into cmd prompt but only for about 10 mins before it cuts again.

Anyone got any suggestions?

Are you getting the drivers from HP's website, or from the actual wifi adapter manufacturer's website?

Open up Device Manager and expand the Network Devices tree. Post the brand/model of your wifi card.

Apparently Realtek doesn't have a driver on their site available for the EE variant - not sure if the CE or RE variant they have on their site would work for you or not.
Realtek

Lenovo may have a slightly newer driver, it seems: ThinkPad Realtek Wireless LAN 8188EE (11bgn) for Windows 8.1 (32-bit), 8 (32-bit, 64-bit), 7 (32-bit, 64-bit) - ThinkPad Edge E145 - Lenovo Support (US)

Thanks a lot for your help.

So which one do you think's best? One of the Realtek ones or the Lenovo one, or can I just download them both? Not sure if that matters or not.

Well you could try the CE and/or RE ones first. Make sure you have a copy of your HP driver installer just in case the others don't work.

Back
Top Bottom