Do I need a new WiFi adapter or a WiFi booster?

fairfieldfalconsfan

In Runtime
So I'm looking to get a WiFi extender or a new WiFi adapter so I get a better Wi-Fi signal in my room. The router (Netgear WNDR3400 ) is in the other part of the house and is only separated from my room by one wall(with lots of windows), about 10 feet of outside space, and then my room wall.

My netbook gets good reception (it uses 2.4 GHz) most of the time but the adapter ( USB dual band Cisco-Linksys AE2500 )that I use for my large tower PC doesn't get a good signal most of the time. It does ok with 2.4 GHz (fluctuates from 78 to 27 Mbps) but when connected to the 5 GHz band it has a slower connection (54 to 13.5 Mbps) and drops off a lot. I know the 5 GHz band doesn't do as good over distance but I think I should get a better signal then I do.

I am looking to either get a new adapter or a WiFi booster in order to get better speeds on my tower PC. I would still like to have something dual-band so I can still be on when our microwave is running but it's not vital. I like having a USB adapter but would be willing to get a PCI-e adapter too as long as I can shut it off easily because I don't like my computer being online all the time. I have 2 PCI-e slots and 2 PCI slots open on my MB. The computer is in the farthest corner in my room from the router so I'm not sure how well an adapter on the back of the tower would work???

If I can keep the cost under $75 that would be great. Any info you need just let me know. I like buying from NewEgg and Amazon. Thanks in advance!

Here are some options I had looked at:

Boosters(i would prefer the kind that is a box hanging from the outlet if they are good):
Diamond Multimedia Range Extender (WR300N) $55 ($35 after rebate): Amazon: Diamond Multimedia Wireless Range Extender (WR300N) (if this one would be a good choice I would like to be know before Monday night because there is a $20 rebate on it until then.

Netgear WN3000RP Wi-Fi Range Extender $66: Amazon: Netgear Universal WN3000RP Wi-Fi Range Extender

Linksys RE1000 Wireless-N Range Extender $78: Amazon: Linksys RE1000 Range Extender

Uspeed WIFI Repeater $45: Amazon: Uspeed WIFI Repeater

PCI-e adapters:
D-Link DWA-556 Xtreme Desktop Adapter $58: Newegg - D-Link DWA-556 Xtreme Desktop Adapter

ASUS PCE-N15 Wireless Adapter $27: Newegg - ASUS PCE-N15 Wireless Adapter

TP-LINK TL-WDN4800 Wireless N Dual Band Adapter $42: Newegg - TP-LINK TL-WDN4800 Wireless N Dual Band Adapter

Rosewill RNX-N250PCe Wireless Adapter $25: Newegg - Rosewill RNX-N250PCe Wireless Adapter

USB adapters:

TP-LINK TL-WN722N Wireless Adapter $20: Newegg - TP-LINK TL-WN722N Wireless Adapter

Rosewill RNX-N180UBE Wireless Adapter $20: Newegg - Rosewill RNX-N180UBE Wireless Adapter

Rosewill RNX-EasyN1 Wireless-N 4.0 Dongle $15: Newegg - Rosewill RNX-EasyN1 Wireless-N 4.0 Dongle

ASUS USB-N13 Wireless Adapter $22: Newegg - ASUS USB-N13 Wireless Adapter

Back
Top Bottom