Can I Equally Split Bandwidth On A Wireless Connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

westy159

In Runtime
If someone is downloading something (like my mother now) a lot of the bandwidth (if that is the right term) is given to her leaving the other users, me and my sister, little to load webpages with.

Opening any page takes much longer than usual, youtube videos are impossible to watch.
So can I stop this from happening or/and allocate a certain percentage of bandwidth to individual users?

Cheers.

What router do you have? Some routers have QoS (Quality of Service) which limits the bandwidth to each user so the rest can also use the internet.

Its a NetGear router. It has a model number if you need that (cant remember it atm). I dont know the username and password for router though (for when you enter its IP address into the web browser), its been changed from the default. Anyway to find it out?

You can always do a reset on it if you need to get into it and dont remember the usename/pw.

if you do a reset, you will loose all your settings, especially if you have dsl

you also may have unwanted guests surfing your wireless. If you do not have encryption enabled on your wi fi , you shold. WPA is better then WEP.

With a low-end router like that (most DSL/cable gateways are low-end) you typically won't see anykind of options like this.... a software install on each PC would be your best bet for limiting bandwidth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom