ASUS RT-N66R - Sporadic WiFi

imworkingonit

Beta member
This router when working, works great.. super fast..

There are times I can hit about 115mbps / 18mbps on 5ghz

But then a lot of times WiFi is super slow, won't load pages, locking up, stalling/pausing, random disconnects, jumping back and forth between fast then slow. Just now on my PC I got 5.4mbps / 15mbps, then itll jump to 30mbps / 16mbps... and then itll disconnect, and reconnect, wont connect, until it gathers and fixes itself.. What could be causing this? This is for both 5 and 2.4 ghz channels.. I'm only about 10' away

I have noticed for the past 2 days, websites with gifs will not load correctly. Even though the website itself will load fast, the animated gifs wont. They will appear broken, cut off. Even during the times I am getting 120mbps speeds, pages still will not load correctly. Videos will buffer for about 1/4 of the way through, then halt.

Here is an example. These are gifs.. http://i.imgur.com/36ipBkO.jpg

This happens on BOTH firefox and chrome

I will get the same results on my phone... some days the phone will clock 120mbps / 25mbps.. but like just now, it clocked 3mbps / 14mbps

I have noticed during these times the 5GHz SSID will disappear leaving me only connected to the 2.4, which during this time will lag awfully.

Please help

Modem: Surfboard SB6141

ASUS RT-N66R

Firmware: 3.0.0.4.376_3754

inSSIDer shows no other networks on the 5GHz frequency

WPA2-Personal on both channels

WPA Encryption: AES

Wireless Mode: Auto

Channel Bandwidth: 20/40MHz

Control Channel: Auto

There are a total of 6 devices connecting to this network.

2 Windows machines

2 android devices

1 iPad

1 Xbox

Any suggestions? Please let me know if you need any more info.

Thank you for any help, this is driving me insane.

Last edited:
Had you changed anything recently, like updated the firmware? I see that you're on the latest firmware according to Asus's website.

Have you tried powercycling the router? Tried resetting back to default and then re-configuring your router?

Had you changed anything recently, like updated the firmware? I see that you're on the latest firmware according to Asus's website.

Have you tried powercycling the router? Tried resetting back to default and then re-configuring your router?

Yes I have power cycled and reset my router. This problem still occurs.

Last edited:
Did you upgrade the firmware recently? Tried seeing if you can downgrade to a previous version?

Do you get these issues if you connect directly to your modem and bypass the router completely?

Did you upgrade the firmware recently? Tried seeing if you can downgrade to a previous version?

Do you get these issues if you connect directly to your modem and bypass the router completely?

Hard wire connection seems fine.. I did upgrade the firmware during install when I initially got the router about 2 weeks ago.

Do you think rolling back the firmware would be a solution? I like to be up to date but if you think it could work I can try it. Any idea about the gifs not loading all of a sudden? They are getting cut off.. This is a screenshot of a page that should be loading all gifs simultaneously http://i.imgur.com/NqsWpW3.jpg

Ive reinstalled my video card, made sure all my flash/java was up to date, reset all browsers, nothing is fixing this. Really irritating.

Well it's at least a troubleshooting step.

So hardwire from the router doesn't have issues, but going over wireless does? Or do you mean hardwire directly from the modem doesn't have these issues?

Well it's at least a troubleshooting step.

So hardwire from the router doesn't have issues, but going over wireless does? Or do you mean hardwire directly from the modem doesn't have these issues?

Hardwire from router is fine, clocks the expected 100ish/mbps

Right now it is hard to trial and error on the speed issue because its performing fine at the moment. 50-100mbps is to be expected on a wireless connection.

I do. 2 separate SSID's..

Hmm, alright. Reason I asked is to make sure it was 2 separate SSID's so there wasn't a possibility of bouncing between them.

I'd try rolling the firmware back to a period when it was working to see if that works or not.

Back
Top Bottom