Am I doing this right?

Gabis1207

Awkward moment when...
I want to run a wired signal to my desktop in the den. The router is downstairs, and moving it is not an option. Running an ethernet cable throughout the house isn't an option, either.

With that in mind, there is an existing RCA (coaxial) cable running to the den that carries a television signal to one of our Comcast receivers. I spoke with a comcast tech, and he said that running this RCA through a modem or a router, and connecting our desktop to it through Ethernet would give us an internet signal, since the television and internet signals are ran through the same bus.

Browsing the internet, I found a device called a Balun. What I want to know is, since I haven't found any routers with a coaxial input, would it work if I connected the RCA cable to an RCA -> Ethernet balun, then connected the balun to a router, then the router to the desktop, or would adding the Balun to the mix cause the whole thing to not work?

Quick replies appreciated!

Are you looking to replace your current cable modem? You can't have two on the same connection (not a technical limitation, just a provider limitation)

I have two modems. The xfinity one, that we have rented for the past several years, and the one I just bought today. How they did it, is beyond me.

Modems or routers? Routers are fine and should work in some kind of bridged mode.
I've never actually seen two modems on one network before... odd. :confused:
If that's the case, then what you linked should work fine.

It's very odd, I know.

It took about an hour on the phone with Comcast, and God-knows how many transfers between departments, but it's set up. I have two three wireless networks in my home, one from the xfinity router/modem that we're renting, and two (a 2.4GHz and a 5.0 GHz) network from the router/modem we just bought. The IP addresses are very similar, although they do differ slightly.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom