Access Issues

ANRQAngel

Solid State Member
Hi

I've been having trouble accessing some of the computers on my domain network. I can scan them all with Netscan and Wireshark, but I can't access some of them whether I use Computer Names or IP Addresses. Seeing as I am the Administrator, I have full access on all machines, but everytime when I want to do backups remotely, I struggle to access half the PC's on my network.

Could someone please explain this to me?

All devices use Win 7 Enterprise from a standardized image.

Just because you are the Admin of the domain doesnt mean you are the Admin of those computers. Im assuming you have AD installed, can either manually put the Admin security group in your local groups on the host computers or do it with GPO editor.

Did you created a second Admin account?

Just because you are the Admin of the domain doesnt mean you are the Admin of those computers.

by default, domain admins get added to a workstation's Administrators group when the workstation joins the domain. OP should still check on this to confirm nothing happened after the join.

I would troubleshoot one by one. Can you rdp to the machine? Can you logon to the console? Check share perms and ntfs acls.

Just because you are the Admin of the domain doesnt mean you are the Admin of those computers. Im assuming you have AD installed, can either manually put the Admin security group in your local groups on the host computers or do it with GPO editor.

Did you created a second Admin account?

All the pc's have a standardised setup, they all have a local admin account which uses the same password, which was given to me when I joined the company. This means I have access to any of the company's devices' admin accounts worldwide.
The password however is not the issue, the issue is that for some reason when I try to access these devices, it doesn't see it, even when using the IP. This happens even when Netscan or Wireshark picks up the machine on my network without issue.

Attached is the message I'd get, even if I used IP's, Note: this is just an example from my personal machine

Attachments

• Net Issues.jpg
    Net Issues.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 4
Check to make their local Windows Firewall settings are in line with what it should be (allowing File Sharing, etc.)

Possibly, make a group policy for it to enforce system wide?

Check to make their local Windows Firewall settings are in line with what it should be (allowing File Sharing, etc.)

Possibly, make a group policy for it to enforce system wide?

Local Windows Firewall is disabled as we use SonicWall on all our sites, internal communication isn't affected. At first I thought it might be that NetBIOS isn't enabled on all computers, but that isn't the case.

Back
Top Bottom