I can't install ubuntu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Derekgnr

Baseband Member
Everytime I try to install ubuntu it wil freeze at some point. I tried 3 different burns. I also am trying it on a new hard drive. So do I have to format it first or something? It even freezes using it from the live cd.

Specs:
Asus A8V-E motherboard
Amd athlon 64 3500+ cpu
1 gig of corsair ram

How did you download the image? Did you use the Torrent? If not i would suggest that you do as it sounds like the HTTP download is not downloading properly for you. It is getting corrupt if you cant even use the LiveCD.

I downloaded it from the ubuntu site. I checked the disk for errors and it found no errors though. I noticed that one of the discs got further into the process of installing than the others. But they all freeze at some point.

Ok I downloaded it from the torrent and still freezes. Maybe it's not burning right. I'm using infra recorder and burning it at the slowest speed. Could something in my system cause this?

I've used infra recorder and imgburn. Could bad ram cause it to freeze? Because I started doing the memtest and it was getting a lot of errors but I stopped it because it was taking forever and I didn't know how long it goes on for. Also I have my ram in slots 3 and 4 because for some reason they don't work in slots 1 and 2. I even got a different motherboard and they still only work in slots 3 and 4.

If you get lots of errors running MemTest, then you RAM is bad and needs to be replaced. That could very well be the reason why the burns are not working. As the information is stored in RAM first then burned. If your RAM is bad, then the information being passed to the burner is corrupted.

I forgot to mention that I'm burning the disc on a laptop and then using that disc on my computer. My computer is what's getting the ram errors.

Have you run MemTest on the laptop? If you have already tried lowest burn speed, different software and different sources, i would believe that the desktop is the issue not the CD's. Have you tried the disk in the laptop to confirm that they work?

Sounds like the optical drive is buggerd, seen this issue quite a bit.

I tried the live cd with the laptop and it worked without freezing. So it's either bad ram or the optical drive.

Ok so I tried the memory test one stick at a time and there were no errors on either of them. So I tried installing ubuntu with just one stick and it worked!! So I don't understand that. Why would 2 sticks of ram cause errors?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom