A+ and Network+ tech or associates programs in NYC

strtdfrmbtm

Beta member
Hey all,
I'm a newbie to the tech world. Looking in to a career change. I've read in many threads that if I want to get an entry level IT position I should obtain the A+ and Network+ certificates. I plan to get other certs but for now I want to focus on those to get started.

My question is: Does anyone in the NYC area know of any accredited colleges with associates degree programs that would prep me for BOTH the A+ and Network+ certificates? What about tech schools? I have a Bachelor in Childhood Education :( so a tech school would make more sense at this point.

Thanks in advance.

I can't help you there - i'm in the midwest but i can give you some good resources:
Professor Messer, CompTIA A+, Network+, Security+, Linux, Microsoft Certification Training is a free website - it has a TON of quality material and hours and hours of free QUALITY videos.

If you best learn in a classroom environment - then take a class. It's been my experience though that taking a class really isn't worth the money for any CompTIA exam. I'm not saying that the classes aren't worth it for like a CCNA, MCSA or VCP - but for something as entry level as an A+ and Net+ I wouldn't take a class.

We need an idea of what your tech background is and what you know and don't know. If you are completely new to technology and just getting started (IE never fixed PCs on your free time) then by all means - go to a class. If you have tech experience, just looking for some certifications to backup your knowledge I would forgo the classroom and just study on your own.

To put the numbers down, you will be paying $1,000 to $1,500 depending on the area and school for one, count that one class to cover just the A+ OR (not and) Net+. With that you will still have to pay the costs of the exam.

Compare that to the website i just gave you (free), and an $80 book you do the math.

Hey Lexluethar,
Sorry for the delay in my response. I thought I pressed send.

I have no background in technology. I mean, I've done repairs here and there to my own machines but that's thanks to Youtube and Google.

I'm currently reading Mike Meyer's Comptia A+ All in One Study Guide but I feel like a newbie like me would benefit from a class.

It also doesn't help that I've been using Macs, almost exclusively since 2008.

Thanks.

I'm sorry you've been using Macs (kidding).

Go for it then, i just wanted to provide my insight as i've been in a similar position many moons ago. I found that the cost far outweighed any benefit for going to a class.

Since you are going to do a class - do your research. We have some tech colleges around here and their training SUCKS. Tech training for things like certifications are hit and miss IMO when it comes to a classroom environment.

Hey. I just recently started taking classes at a tech school in the ny city. I came across your post and was curious about what path you took.

Sent from my iPhone using Tech-Forums

Not sure if you are asking the original poster or me.

I was a research analyst as a market research firm after graduating college with my BS in Human Resources. I was originally a computer information systems major for 2 years, but switched to Human Resources (freaked out thinking i was going to sit in a cubical coding all day). I've always fixed computers and was responsible for the computers at my work. Nothing complicated as it was only about 10 computers, one file share running off a local disk which was backed up to an external.

While at that job I did research online, joined this forum and started doing some soul searching for what i wanted to do 'when i grew up'. I started by studying for my A+ exam, i picked up a Mike Meyers book, studied it and watched Professormesser's online training. Once i did that I went and took my A+ and passed both exams. After that I studied my MS Vista exam by purchasing the MS press book and studying it. Once i pass that i started looking around for possible help desk roles. After a few months of interviews and searching for the right fit i landed my first job as a Help Desk Analyst.

Once at that job i started studying server material. About a year into that job I passed my first server exam, 70-640 (AD for Server 2008). At that point I was promoted to a Level 2 Help Desk Analyst. During that time i continued studying server material (because it interested me). Eventually after about a year i moved on to another company doing desktop support, Was there for another two years and promoted to network admin. Since then i passed my 70-642 and i'm about to pass my 70-646.

Just depends on how you learn. Some people have to sit in a classroom setting to absorb anything.

It's been my experience that those classroom settings are generally (not always) geared towards rushing through the material, trying to get people to pass an exam and not learn anything.

Personally, I would rather purchase a quality book and read through it at my own pace. Once i comprehend the material I create a lab using vmware (which is free) and install trial versions of the server OS's (also free). At that point you can study the server material, actually lab that material and see how it works - then truly understand it and pass the exam. So minus the book cost ($50 to $100) i can go take the exam at very little cost. Depending on the exam fee it may be $100 to $200, so for a grand total of $300 tops and a couple months of hard work i can be certified.

Everyone is a bit different in how they learn. I just always tell people to use caution when going to those types of schools and pay that much money. If you are walking away with a good amount of certifications AND knowledge, great. Most people though burn 5 to 10k, go through the course(s) then never take the test. Unfortunately unless you have that certification most employers don't give a crap about a class you took. Similar to college right, you always have that friend that was 12 credits from graduating, but that isn't something you can put on a resume. You either have the degree or your don't.

Yea the school I'm going to is 1 year long. 18 hours a week. They go through a+ network+ Microsoft client and server. VirtualIzation. A few other things. And it includes a 300 hour internship.

Sent from my iPhone using Tech-Forums

Hiddendragon, if you're still in that school, run away. Now.

Dear God, unless you're getting an Associates out of that school, don't do it.

My Associates program gets me more than eight IT certs including CCNA, and exposes me heavily in C++, and minor exposure to Python, Ruby, JavaScript, HTML, PHP, and CSS. And this is a 18 month degree program.

Back
Top Bottom