Network+ & A+ Certification Questions

Chasee

Baseband Member
Hey guys! I'm new to the forum and look forward to reading and responding to all the awesome conversations that take place here. But first, I have a few questions to ask about IT certification!

I'm 18 and plan on getting into the IT field, (probably security) but plan to start out with an entry level job in Desktop support. I've heard that being A+ certified alone is usually enough to get a job right after you take your exams, BUT I was just wondering if this is true, and how long it takes to do these types of certifications?

I am very advanced with technology, more so than most people my age. I'm not a complete beginner, but I am when it comes to how a computer actually works, same with networking.

Any comments or responses are encouraged! Thanks for your time!

Moved to Tech Careers and Education.

The people that normally give advise on this will be more likely to see it. Could also browse through the other threads in this board and see what suggestions people gave already to get a basic sense of direction, so to speak.

Moved to Tech Careers and Education.

The people that normally give advise on this will be more likely to see it. Could also browse through the other threads in this board and see what suggestions people gave already to get a basic sense of direction, so to speak.

Great! Even better. So sorry I posted in the wrong section, I made sure to look everywhere but I couldn't seem to find the area for careers in IT.

Mind attaching a link so I can find my thread?

A+ is a great start - if you enjoy security get the Sec+ too.

Generally speaking the A+ and Net / Sec + will be enough to get your foot in the door. Realize your first job will probably have nothing to do with security. You'll probably be doing desktop support or help desk type work.

Once you get about ta year of experience and a few other certifications TONS of doors will open. Cisco has a VERY highly recognized security exam - it's very difficult but if you can pass it you will be set IMO.

Do you plan on going to college? Associates or BA?

Great! Even better. So sorry I posted in the wrong section, I made sure to look everywhere but I couldn't seem to find the area for careers in IT.

Mind attaching a link so I can find my thread?

No problem - it happens.

Technology Careers and Education - Tech & Computer Forums
There's a link to the Careers & Edu board. I also left a redirect in the board you originally posted that will expire in 3 days.

You can also find the board by scrolling down farther on the page.

Or, if you have your options set to their defaults, you can click on 'UserCP' on the top link menu bar, and it will show you all your subscribed threads - when you start a new topic, or reply to a topic, it by default gets added to your Subscribed threads, so you can easily keep track of it and see if there any new replys to it through your UserCP.

Speaking of school, I notice that your location says Houston (I'm assuming Houston, TX) and I just wanted to mention that the faculty at HCCS helped me get my start. I don't know if they are still there, but one instructor passed along job opportunities to students and another one (who also teaches at UH) can get an interview for any student who passes three or four specific classes.

Anyway, aside from that, I agree with everything that Lex said. I'd also like to add that a degree always helps, preferably a Bachelor's. It's not absolutely necessary, but having one is always better than not having one.

I'm working towards getting into security, myself. There's so much to learn that it's almost overwhelming.

A+ is a great start - if you enjoy security get the Sec+ too.

Generally speaking the A+ and Net / Sec + will be enough to get your foot in the door. Realize your first job will probably have nothing to do with security. You'll probably be doing desktop support or help desk type work.

Once you get about ta year of experience and a few other certifications TONS of doors will open. Cisco has a VERY highly recognized security exam - it's very difficult but if you can pass it you will be set IMO.

YAY!!! Exactly what I wanted to hear!!! I'm so excited!! I know that even desktop support is usually making about $20/hr...pretty good money for the work that I'll be doing IMO.

Also, I plan on pursuing my bachelors!

Speaking of school, I notice that your location says Houston (I'm assuming Houston, TX) and I just wanted to mention that the faculty at HCCS helped me get my start. I don't know if they are still there, but one instructor passed along job opportunities to students and another one (who also teaches at UH) can get an interview for any student who passes three or four specific classes.

Anyway, aside from that, I agree with everything that Lex said. I'd also like to add that a degree always helps, preferably a Bachelor's. It's not absolutely necessary, but having one is always better than not having one.

I'm working towards getting into security, myself. There's so much to learn that it's almost overwhelming.

Yes, that is correct! I plan on going to either HCC or LoneStar, I could go to either.

And yeah, that's what I saw! My step father is actually a supervisor I think for his own desktop support team! He got in with nothing but a high school degree, and only recently started taking college classes so that he can continue to move up into his boss' position. So, I think that I will be making pretty good money and will be OK since I will already be pursuing my Bachelors as I get into a job.

Also, is there places out there that I can get into, even without any "real" experience? What kind of part-time jobs can I get in order to start gaining exp. or something I can put on my resume? I wouldn't be comfortable with working inside a computer store just yet, but I feel like I could do small jobs to help them out? I also recently started my own small "business", where I basically do a "cleanup" or "tune-up" for a computer, inside and out.

Volunteer work, internships, and work study are all great ways to get some experience under your belt while you're still going to school.

In Houston there's Comp-U-Dopt.org - it's a volunteer organization that provides refurbished computers to kids. A lot of students in the area volunteer there to put some experience on their resumes. My program at HCC required work hours and a lot of the students went there to fulfill that requirement.

There's also computer retail at places like Fry's, Microcenter, etc. It's less hands on and retail sucks, but customer service experience is invaluable in the industry.

There's also computer retail at places like Fry's, Microcenter, etc. It's less hands on and retail sucks, but customer service experience is invaluable in the industry.

This. If you can put that you have good customer service skills on your resume, places will have a higher. You can learn technician skills easily - most of it is picked up on the job anyway. Its harder to "learn" customer service skills, though IMO.

Back
Top Bottom