Looking for Feedback

jeSig

Beta member
Hey everyone! My name's Jeff and I stumbled across this forum in search of some direction on what path to take in the IT field. Due to budget cuts, my contract is up at my current position (not IT related) and I am forced to seek out other avenues. Note: I have no IT experience and am looking to break into the field. My local community college has a Desktop and Server Administrator Certificate program. I would like some feedback from you knowledgable gentleman.. and ladies, on the linked program and whether or not all these courses are necessary. Side note: I will be using my GI Bill so none of this will be coming out of pocket so the money is not a variable. Thanks in advance for you guys' input!

http://mymtc.midlandstech.edu/CeProgramApp/programdesc?id=CE.DSA

Last edited:
Looks like a solid program where you get some decent experience. Do you know if the certifications are part of the coursework? IE does your 1,999 also include a certificate voucher to take the course? If not I would STRONGLY recommend you taking these exams (A+, Net+, MCSA 2012) during your course work or after the course is complete. The reason I say is while it's great experience, and you will learn a lot employers will look right past you if you do not have the certifications to back your studies up.

I hear a lot in my field and even at my job "well i took the Admin course at X school" or "i did the entire coursework for the MCSA last month" - all of that means squat unless you actually take and pass the exams. Trust me on this one, make sure to take the exams as well.

So the coursework you outlined is a solid path IMO - just make sure you get those 5 certifications as well.

Have you also thought about maybe an associates or bachelors since money isn't really an issue b/c your a veteran? If you have enough in your bill and you have enough time I would HIGHLY suggest getting an associates or even a bachelors in IT if possible from an accredited school. Certifications are great - but an accredited degree program is even better IMO. Generally speaking I put the list from most important to least:
1. Bachelors
2. Associates
3. Certifications (Cisco, Microsoft, VMware)
4. Certifications (CompTIA, HDI, ect)

Certifications are great, but what you learn from a quality school getting a degree is much more valuable IMO. Also realize a TON of people are doing the exact same move you are doing, trying to get into IT. A lot of those people go and get brain dumps and blow through certifications just to put it on their resume. For that very reason some companies won't even look at your resume w/o a degree. There are three very large IT companies (thousands of employees each) in my area, i know for a fact they pass on anyone without a degree.

Back
Top Bottom