Has the patent-infringement lawsuit changed your view of Samsung?

Has the patent-infringement lawsuit changed your view of Samsung?

• I now think less of Samsung.

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Nope. It's still the same.

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • I'm a bigger fan than before.

Votes: 7 41.2%
  • Didn't like Samsung before, don't like 'em now

Votes: 1 5.9%

• Total voters
99.99% of products out there are based off other devices. Steve said several times he used to love old Braun and Sony products and they influenced Apples designs. Design is an evolving process, you like a design, you make it your own and you improve it. There are probably no new modern electronics in existence that don't take design cues from somewhere.

The important part is whether you just straight out copy someones design, or if you just use it as foundation to build upon, change and improve.

You may all moan at Apple for creating lawsuits instead of just trying to compete, yet Samsung are doing the exact same thing to LG over OLED. They are sueing them for copying their tech, just like Apple did to them.

I think a lot of Android was stolen off iOS originally, that is my honest belief. But it is quite clear that when Android began to really differentiate itself and become a unique and fundamentally different OS to iOS, at which point is began to innovate with new features, this is the point Apple also stole some stuff from Android.

That last bit is my general consensus to, there about.
They took the popularity of the iPhone, and improved it by adding Android for a better user experience. :Peeking:

I think there's a lot of stealing all around. Samsung is not innocent by any stretch here.

There's also the fact that those other devices never went anywhere at all, probably for good reasons. The iPhone, whether you like it or not, changed cell phones forever. Doesn't matter that smart phones existed earlier than it, because it was the first completely user friendly device with smartphone capacities for the general public, and gained its popularity as such.

That's just how it is. It definitely didn't help the case when the huge document specifically outlining ways to improve the Samsung device and modification of the Android OS solely based on iPhone design...kinda think that was the final nail in the coffin.

As for my personal opinion of the devices and OS and such, I still feel the same way about Apple as I always have. Windows--and now Android--feels like a gigantic crazy house you can do anything with, and iOS/OSX feels like a comfy room you can customize to your liking, a little more personal. iOS has copied that same feeling from OSX very well.

And don't take the analogy as if I'm saying you can't customize or modify as much, it's just different comfort levels.
No I look at it this way, most PDAs and former smart phones (I have had smart phones before the iPhone 3G) were pretty damn simple to use if you actually had the brains to use a computerized device. Thing of it is, they were too expensive, and everything you did with them cost something. For instance, any of my Verizon smart phones pre-Android cost to use the web, tether, use GPS, ect. Nobody wanted to deal with the hassle, and also the software support for Windows wasn't that great. Come on, XP didn't fancy the smart phone much. Not to mention, before the 3G nobody wanted a touch screen device either. That tech was in its infancy too.
Here come along the iPod. That thing started the whole Apple craze, and when they released the 3G everybody and their Apple loving brother had one. That is when the smart phone took off. When Android came out of its little tiny infancy (1.0 and pre) is when guys like me started going :FuManchu: hmm nice. Once touch screens and smart phones became the norm is when the market started getting flooded. Before I got my first Galaxy S I actually wanted a simple no BS flip phone that could text and make simple calls. Now look at me. Because of that very thing it gave more and more people incentive to actually take the time to "learn" these new fangled devices. *looks at old people* When the smart phone took off is really when the internet started becoming a "big deal" too.
So I wouldn't say they completely "changed cell phones forever", but more along the lines of "made it a cool thing to have". If that makes any sense at all.

I would also like to mention, Windows Phone OS is a rather nasty smelling turd. You can hardly do anything with it and it requires Zune software to operate on the PC. I like how I can do ANYTHING with Android. I can customize down to the fine detail if I want.

No I look at it this way, most PDAs and former smart phones (I have had smart phones before the iPhone 3G) were pretty damn simple to use if you actually had the brains to use a computerized device.

That was kinda my point though, it brought a user interface just about anyone could use, not just people who knew how to use computerized devices. It's only in the past 5 years or so that everyone had a computer, just about ever household does now, and it's integrated itself into our way of life. Remember, I was selling smartphones and using PDAs waaaaaaaaay before the iPhone was even a gleam concept wet dream in an apple fanboy's eye.

Thing of it is, they were too expensive, and everything you did with them cost something. For instance, any of my Verizon smart phones pre-Android cost to use the web, tether, use GPS, ect. Nobody wanted to deal with the hassle, and also the software support for Windows wasn't that great. Come on, XP didn't fancy the smart phone much. Not to mention, before the 3G nobody wanted a touch screen device either. That tech was in its infancy too.

Another one of my points, more affordable as well as user friendly.

Here come along the iPod. That thing started the whole Apple craze, and when they released the 3G everybody and their Apple loving brother had one. That is when the smart phone took off. When Android came out of its little tiny infancy (1.0 and pre) is when guys like me started going :FuManchu: hmm nice. Once touch screens and smart phones became the norm is when the market started getting flooded. Before I got my first Galaxy S I actually wanted a simple no BS flip phone that could text and make simple calls. Now look at me. Because of that very thing it gave more and more people incentive to actually take the time to "learn" these new fangled devices. *looks at old people* When the smart phone took off is really when the internet started becoming a "big deal" too.
So I wouldn't say they completely "changed cell phones forever", but more along the lines of "made it a cool thing to have". If that makes any sense at all.

But it did change cell phones forever. Even when the original model came out. They had the right marketing, the right OS, the right idea, and ran with it. Simple as that. Everything came tumbling out after that with touchscreen phones. It was a craze, it was the new hip thing, and as much as you and I hate to admit it, it started a crazy revolution where hipsters could get an iPhone and say they were cooler than everyone else, then hipsters that hated Apple said OH YEAH CHECK THIS OUT and BOOM loads of similar devices running Android.

I would also like to mention, Windows Phone OS is a rather nasty smelling turd. You can hardly do anything with it and it requires Zune software to operate on the PC. I like how I can do ANYTHING with Android. I can customize down to the fine detail if I want.

Windows mobile OS has always been a smelly turd, really.

(little late to the party here)

No. If anything, it's only enraged me about several other things, all of which do not involve Samsung.

1 - Just how terrible of a company Apple is. I disliked them before, but now I actually feel an insane degree of disappointment each time I pass the Apple store at the mall. Their success is so largely supplied by litigation that I just can't bring myself to give them any of my money or support.
2 - Just how ridiculous our patent system is. I'm continually baffled by the "new low" we achieve each time yet another patent is granted. Swipe to unlock? How else do you unlock an entirely touch screen device? The "bounce back" effect that occurs when you try to scroll past your app drawers top/bottom limitation? Really? This, alone, is the root cause of the fire that Apple continues to keep going.

Not really keen on the idea.
I think it's just getting to the point of a joke on how far a patent can go.

Back
Top Bottom