ATI ships 11million DX11 chips

Status
Not open for further replies.

Puddle Jumper

Mod Emeritus
ATI, graphics business unit of Advanced Micro Devices, demonstrated the world's first DirectX 11-capable graphics processing unit (GPU) at Computex Taipei 2009, exactly a year ago from today. The first ATI DirectX 11 chips - code-named Evergreen - were launched in late Septmber, 2009, and so far ATI has shipped more than eleven million of DX11 graphics chips.

“We have shipped over eleven DirectX 11 GPUs since we launched in the fall. It is a huge technology effect. Microsoft has told us that the transition to DirectX 11 has been the fastest transition for DirectX ever,” said Leslie Sobon, vice president of worldwide product marketing at AMD, during a press event at Computex Taipei.

According to ATI's arch-rival Nvidia Corp. itself and independent analysts, Nvidia shipped around 400 thousand DirectX 11-capable graphics till mid-May 2010.

At present ATI is the only provider of desktop and mobile top-to-bottom DirectX 11 solutions. The main competitor – Nvidia – only ships graphics and computing solutions powered by the code-named GF100 chip, the monster, which contains over three billion of transistors and that is very expensive to manufacture. Nvidia's mainstream DirectX 11 solutions that belong to Fermi generation are projected to launch in summer and fall of 2010.

Sorce: ATI Ships Eleven Millionth DirectX 11 Graphics Chip - X-bit labs

I found this graph of ATI's sales of DX11 cards at various times on another forum and thought it was interesting.

atidx11sales.png

It looks like ATI's sales have actually increased significantly since the Fermi launch which isn't what most people would have expected.

It looks like ATI's sales have actually increased significantly since the Fermi launch which isn't what most people would have expected.

Probably because a lot of the people who waited for Fermi were disappointed, and then bought ATi (not that I'm saying either decision was the right one).

Maybe some people who were waiting for Fermi's performance numbers and specs before they upgraded were not impressed and decided to go ATi this round.

edit: Yami the ninja :p

I know personally alot of Nvidia fan boys who where not so happy with the 6 month late card. Im not to happy with them but it hasent budged my decision. Even though im for Nvidia, im glad ATI/AMD are getting some extra dough for R+D.

That would pretty much mean ditch monolithic design and less raw horsepower. We all know they like to swing the biggest dick around no matter the cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom