Hello from Ausaris!

Ausaris

Baseband Member
Hello! My name is Jacob, but I prefer to be called by the name "Ausaris" in the online world. The name is derived from the Kemetic god "Ausar" - renamed "Osiris" by the Greeks - and it is apparently also a genus of butterfly, which I found fairly interesting.

I've been in love with video games ever since I first played pokemon on my gameboy colour as a kid, and have been able to find a sense of satisfaction I just can't seem to replicate in the real world when I play my favourite MMO's. My favourite games at present are Runescape( don't judge :p), ArcheAge, and MechWarrior Online. I used to be a World of Warcraft player, but since a couple of years ago I find it just makes me agitated more than anything when I play it now.

As for the tech side of my interests, i've always loved computers, and saved up to buy my first desktop pc when I was 15, but I've only just recently started taking an interest in the way everything works. Before I was just happy to have my tech to play around with, and start up my games and have fun with it all; but now I find myself hearing of new technologies, and wanting to see them made real.

But I don't just want to see them, I want to be a part of creating them; my main interest being in Virtual Reality and the related technologies. I recently started watching Sword Art Online, and after realizing the episodes are being released far too slow for my tastes, I began reading the light novels. Now I find myself with the first real goal i've ever had in life; "I want to experience that world".

After doing some quick research, I found out that we aren't very far off from this goal tech-wise, and that it will likely be possible by the timeframe of the show - the year 2022 - and that I really want to assist in moving this technology forward. I've been reading up on various topics related to Virtual Reality and it's technologies lately, and realized that it is one of the few things I can actually say I enjoy learning about, and want to begin going more in-depth with my research into VR technology. Which is the main reason I joined this forum earlier today, I am hoping that there will be someone here who can point me in the right direction as to where I should start, or even give my some advice or answer questions for me as they come into my mind.

I am currently studying to become a Certified CAD Technician, and am almost halfway through the first of two years, after Christmas break we will be starting our lessons on creating 3D models using Autodesk Inventor, during this I plan to try my hand with Unity as well. I figure having experience with 3D modelling will be useful in this field for creating the virtual world itself, but as far as the technology goes I figure I will at least need some electrical and mechanical engineering knowledge, programming skills, and a good number of other skills I would have to learn. I am fully prepared to dedicate a set portion of every day I have a chance to study and practice to acquire and enhance the skills I will need to get into this field, but like I said before some guidance on how to get started would be absolutely wonderful. If anyone who has taken the time to read all this has knowledge they can pass on to me, you will have earned the appreciation of this man, in helping him move toward accomplishing his dream.

I actually have a number of projects in mind technology-wise that I plan to try and create as a way of breaking myself in, but will not be posting any details of those until I have done more research myself, and have at least a fairly solid idea of how I will actually attempt to accomplish it.

Sorry this was so long, I appreciate you taking your time to read it all, and will be hoping to hear from someone willing to pass at least a small bit of knowledge to me. I am totally open to constructive criticism to anything I have said here and will say in the future, so please speak freely.

If there are any questions you would like to ask regarding myself or my goals, please ask and I will answer them to the best of my ability!

Best regards, Ausaris.

Back
Top Bottom