IT CERTIFICATION VS BACHELORS DEGREE

Chris917

Beta member
CAREER CHANGE, WOULD LIKE SOME INFORMATION IN WHICH WAY TO GO.
IS HAVING CERTIFICATION ENOUGH IN LANDING A JOB IN THE IT FIELD?

An entry level helpdesk position, depending on what your previous experience is.

Maybe, degree's IMO are generally held in higher regard in my experience.

If you got like an MCP in Windows 7 and your A+ and / or Net+ you could land a help desk role.

Realize you aren't the only person making a move like this, so the industry has been flooded with candidates that don't have a ton of experience if any at all. So ANYTHING that can give you a leg up on the competition is a plus (like a degree).

I've got an Associates in IT-Network Security with just an A+ and I have a job as an IT-Admin for a growing local grocery company with 11 locations. I'd say a degree will always boost your chances over a cert, but you really should have both. Certs give you credibility in a whole category of IT while having a degree covers generally all/most areas in IT. It's good to say you have experience and knowledge in all areas as well as say you are an expert in some. The more education, the better you will look to an employer and pay requirements will be easier to negotiate.

EDIT:

Degrees give you knowledge in general vast areas of IT. A cert will give you a deeper understanding of a particular area of IT and you can truly claim to be an expert in that particular area of IT.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom