Since this is a subject we have touched on a couple
recently I decided to share a a few useful registry tweaks. These apply to Windows Vista. 1) Stop UAC being so annoying
Yes, I leave User Account Control on. I find it bearable with time and its just one extra security caution. However the most annoying thing about it for me is not the popup requiring you to proceed, but the way it blocks out the rest of the desktop.
With time I found it begins to slow down and become increasingly frustrating. Luckily itís easy to fix:
2) Auto Logon
- Registry Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\
- Change from 1 to 0
Maybe not so secure a tip, but seeing as I have to reset Windows so often I wish sometimes it could just logon automatically so I could go off and do something else. This is a registry tweak to do jut that:
3) Simultaneous Downloads
- Registry Key: HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\winlogon\AutoAdminLogon
- Now create a new String Value and call it DefaultPassword
Set: DefaultPassword = "P@ssw0rd"
- Check for a REG_SZ called DefaultUserName. If itís not there, then right-click in the right pane > New > REG_SZ and name it, DefaultUserName. Set the string value to the required UserName to be auto logged in.
This is a fantastic little tweak as Iíve run into trouble with this beforeÖ by default you cannot download more then 2 files from one web server.
A Few Useful Tweaks
- Registry Key: HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Int ernet Settings
- Create two DWORDS (Right Click > New> DWORD (32-Bit) Value)
- MaxConnectionsPerServer and MaxConnectionsPer1_0Server
- Set the value of the first to 000000a and the value of the second to 0000000a