Xbox 360 connected with Computer Monitor, need help with connecting a headset

Status
Not open for further replies.

adreN

Beta member
So right now my computer monitor (Acer 23.5" with HDMI) is connected with my Xbox 360.

It works perfectly fine for me except for the fact that I want to plug in a computer headset to the back of my monitor in the audio jack to hear the sounds in game.

For example, take my computer headset plug, and plug it into the audio jack in the back.

Now my friend does this with the same headset and it works perfectly fine for him, he can hear gun sounds, etc in MW2.

When I do it, I hear nothing, my monitor continues playing music from it and not to the headset.

My question is what can I do so the audio from the game is reverted to the computer headset.

I and my friend both use HDMI plugs to connect our monitors to our Xbox.

Are there any options in the monitor's menu to switch the sound outputs?
What specific make and model is your monitor?
Are you sure that 3.5mm jack is an output, and not an input?

I have a similar setup, btw. I have HDMI to my monitor, then 3.5mm jack to the Line In input on my PC, which then outputs the audio to my speakers or headset. Doing it that way might be an option for you?

Are there any options in the monitor's menu to switch the sound outputs?
What specific make and model is your monitor?
Are you sure that 3.5mm jack is an output, and not an input?

I have a similar setup, btw. I have HDMI to my monitor, then 3.5mm jack to the Line In input on my PC, which then outputs the audio to my speakers or headset. Doing it that way might be an option for you?

I've looked around and I can't find anything, all I got from the make and model is P235H. I'm not entirely sure what it is, I think it is for the sound from the monitor. But regardless or a headset being plugged in or not, no sound comes from the monitor when I am on my computer only when I am on Xbox.

So, should I get like audio jack connector and connect it to the back of my PC and connect my headset to the PC box? Then I should be able to hear Xbox sounds?

I have a feeling the sound being messed up has something to do with my HDMI cord acting already as an audio jack or something.

I run my xbox sound through my pc, with the over-priced VGA cable. Works out really nicely, since my monitor has a VGA and DVI input, DVI for pc, VGA for xbox, 1 button push to switch. I built an adapter at radioshack (though you can buy them online) to take the two component audio (red+white) to your standard 3.5mm. Plugged that into my mic port and set mic sounds to play through headphones. Works like a charm, since the xbox already has crap audio there's no loss and it sounds exactly the same, plus it doesn't effect anything else (that I know of).

Not sure with your set-up though, is there an option on your monitors menu maybe? It just might no be set to play sounds.

I run my xbox sound through my pc, with the over-priced VGA cable. Works out really nicely, since my monitor has a VGA and DVI input, DVI for pc, VGA for xbox, 1 button push to switch. I built an adapter at radioshack (though you can buy them online) to take the two component audio (red+white) to your standard 3.5mm. Plugged that into my mic port and set mic sounds to play through headphones. Works like a charm, since the xbox already has crap audio there's no loss and it sounds exactly the same, plus it doesn't effect anything else (that I know of).

Not sure with your set-up though, is there an option on your monitors menu maybe? It just might no be set to play sounds.

That sounds extremely complicated lol, he just plugs it in and it magically works, looked around in the options don't see anything because it plays the sound from the Xbox regardless.

Can anyone offer any kind of help? I feel like the game MW2 requires you invest money to be somewhat ****ing decent, it's complete ********, i.e. TurtleBeaches or Astros so you can hear ANYTHING.

I have a K/D of 1.65 without using turtlebeaches or a decent surround system (and with a huge ping). Good sound really isn't needed (it obviously helps, though).

Your monitor has no audio pass-through. That 3.5mm jack you're plugging your headset into is an audio INPUT jack, for the onboard speakers. You'll most likely need to do what Dirk suggested. It's EASY to do, not complicated at all...

You'll need :

http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=40681 (Xbox VGA Cable)

and

2 x RCA Female / 1 x 3.5mm Stereo Female Adapter (2 x RCA Female / 1 x 3.5mm Stereo Female Adapter)

Just connect the RCA Female adapter to the Xbox VGA RCA outputs, and your headset into the 3.5mm input. Then of course the VGA connector to your monitor.

"Sound whoring" is overrated. It is useful in Clan matches and only really in the game mode search and destroy. A really good entry level headset is a turtle beach x11. I have one and it does the job just fine and I have played at a competitive level on console.
Turtle Beach x11

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom