Should I wait for a nexgen console instead of buying a 360 now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

keelo

Solid State Member
Well I finally have more then enough saved up from part-time jobs to get myself a 360 (been saving for about half a year now) and...i'm thinking about getting myself a(n) 360. Although I was going to get it there has been talks about rrod preventing me from doing so. I have seen a rumor that they will be switching to a 65nm chip, or that they already have but there are still some consoles on the market carrying the 95nm one. They say the power brick with 175w has the falcon chip 65nm and an extra heat sink but the 203w one has a 95nm with no extra heat sink and is more susceptible to coming down with an red ring "virus". So my question is, should I buy an xbox 360 and is it worth it?

Or should I wait 1-2 years for the next generation xbox console to come out since Microsoft has voiced that their systems have a 5 year life-span which means usually in 5 years (2010 for xbox "3") there should be a new console which may be coming out.

you can buy it now because its very cheap right now , and when you want to know if its falcon, just check the upper section of the box they have cut a hole there where you can see the production date if its aug 2008 or above its a falcon, other way is to see the power required falcons are 14.2A, but you have to open the box to see it. so just check the production date to be sure, i recently bought it and its a kick *** console, so ive got atleast 2 years to get away from pc gaming :D .

With the economy like it is, i wouldnt expect a new console to be out anytime soon. Microsoft is just now getting consoles out with the proper hardware that they are turning a profit.

The newest design features Jasper, which is 65nm gpu and cpu. The power supply is also 150W on this newer model. You can check the power supply rating and it will say 12.1A. There should not be any more of the 90nm gpu and cpu out there as those are over 2 years old. The falcons, and most recently Jaspers are all you should be seeing. Also, Valhalla, a 45nm chip is scheduled this fall, though you should be fine getting any 360 right now as even Falcons are very reliable compared to the original 360s.

And as Veedub said, I wouldn't expect a new console until 2012 or 2011 at the earliest. With the great releases on 360 and so many to come for 2009, it's a great time to own a 360!

I would've wait for a nextgen console because for one you will wait at least year but most likely several years before a console is made again. There hasn't been any announcements for the next-gen console yet. Second, if there is a next-gen console it will cost $600 or so during the first year only to be reduced to $300 after a year.

The GPU is the only thing that was modified as far as I have read the CPU hasn't been changed any between the last two releases.

Don't buy Falcon! Buy Jasper, got one on Sunday and it's really cool (literally, makes much less heat than my old Xenon 90nm one). Jaspers are made November 2008 or newer (look at MFR date through hole in box). They can have either a 175W power brick (leftovers from Falcon packages, they work with Jasper boards too) or 150W bricks designed for Jaspers.

The Xenon and Zephyr boards both use 90nm CPU and 90nm GPU
The Falcon board uses 65nm CPU and 90nm GPU
The Jasper board uses 65nm CPU and 65nm GPU

I bought one from ebay, one of the older ones (203w psu) and applied the x-clamp mod as soon as I got it and i haven't had a problem with it yet. I have played gta 4 hours straight and it hasnt overheated. Maybe I got lucky, maybe I just take better care of mine than most people do.

Thanks a lot for all the comments this has really swayed my decision and I will buy a 360 and just start saving up for the nexgen. I hope I get a Jasper then and I will be looking for one in stores, Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom