hacked?

XWrench3

Daemon Poster
i am not sure exactly what happened, or even when. but i have noticed a few "strange things" with my laptop recently. 1) when i start my browser (Mozilla Firefox) the address that appears in the address bar is slightly different than what i have typed in to my home page in internet settings. i have typed in
[ Google ] and what i get is Google . also, 2) i used to get a consistent 3-4 bars of wi-fi connectivity sitting here in my living room. which has recently dropped to 2 bars at best, and usually fades in and out of 1 bar to none. it now takes 30 seconds to minutes to load a page, in stead of a second or two. i admit to not being the sharpest tool in the shed when it comes to computers and technology. thankfully, my boy is extreemly interested in this feild. the problem is he is still a year or two away from having the skills to take care of all of these problems. right now, i have no idea where to even look to see if something got changed in my laptop, or in the wi-fi unit itself. i have run avast, SUPERantispyware, and spybot search and destroy, but anything they have detected has not altered any of this. any help in this would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

i am not sure exactly what happened, or even when. but i have noticed a few "strange things" with my laptop recently. 1) when i start my browser (Mozilla Firefox) the address that appears in the address bar is slightly different than what i have typed in to my home page in internet settings. i have typed in
[ Google ] and what i get is Google . also, 2) i used to get a consistent 3-4 bars of wi-fi connectivity sitting here in my living room. which has recently dropped to 2 bars at best, and usually fades in and out of 1 bar to none. it now takes 30 seconds to minutes to load a page, in stead of a second or two. i admit to not being the sharpest tool in the shed when it comes to computers and technology. thankfully, my boy is extreemly interested in this feild. the problem is he is still a year or two away from having the skills to take care of all of these problems. right now, i have no idea where to even look to see if something got changed in my laptop, or in the wi-fi unit itself. i have run avast, SUPERantispyware, and spybot search and destroy, but anything they have detected has not altered any of this. any help in this would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

Doesn't sound like you're having malware issues.

1) that's normal. Google is redirecting it's services to use SSL, which is an encryption protocol to attempt to make your interaction with Google services safer. Happens to me too, so that's normal.

2) Update your wifi drivers directly from the wifi manufacterer's site. If you're not sure what brand you have, open up Device Manager, locate the network devices, and post the brand/model it shows for your wifi adapter here.

Do other wireless devices have the same symptoms as your laptop? If so, then try unplugging the router from the power adapter for about 30 seconds, then plug it back in and wait for it to fully boot back up and try using it again.

And get rid of those 2 that are essentially malware themselves. Use Malwarebytes instead. Download a free copy of Revo Pro and do the advanced clean on both of those ****ware programs.

I'll also ask, what kind of router do you have?

I'll also ask, what kind of router do you have?

it's a Cradlepoint MBR 1000. its kind of old (5+ years), but it works. i have been thinking its really time for a newer, more powerful, and safer router. we got this when my wife got her laptop. at that point, she was the only one using wi-fi. and she used it mostly for FaceBook and recipies. now there are 7 wireless devices running from it. and my daughter wants her own laptop for Christmas. so ????

well, i just came from their website. this modles latest firmware is dated April 16, 2012. and its the same version we are running. so i will try unplugging the router and hopefully that will help.

COnsidering it's a mobile broadband setup it could also be the cell signal that is causing pages to load slower (unless you're not using 3G on it). Does the same thing happen on other devices?

Is the device being covered, or is it in an open space?

A lot of things can hamper wireless signal including any new interference you may have in your home. If you've recently moved it or recently moved another electronic device near it that could be the issue. If none of this is the issue then make sure it's not getting hot, try a power refresh, and possibly change your wifi password to something strong under WPA2.

I didn't for ages until I met my girlfriend, who managed to almost wreck Windows trying to download Chrome

:lol:

Fortunately my wife is slowly learning.. don't have to clean up her computer as often as I used to.

Back
Top Bottom