Another Sony Hack Question

That's a tough question I think, How would it know the hacker or just being accessed, The whole point of hacking is being undetected as not supposed to be in the system, So something like that could be bombing a HD that is uploading something new and not backed up yet so that would be tough to do.

Thanks for the response. Perhaps I also should have ask the question differently. What if every computer that has access to the internet had a program or app that bombed the hard drive of the intruding computer, regardless of who the intruding computer belonged to, wouldn't that solve the problem of hacking?

Still would be an issue, hackers enter like a pc that is supposed to be there, System wouldn't know who to nuke and not nuke, A lot of law suits would happen for having systems getting nuked so it would be too risky for that, and besides hackers would just find a work around and possible make the system nuke every pc that connects.

The hackers that broke into Sony's servers and pc's not only had the data but there was also a "bomb" that wiped Sony's hard drives after the deed was done, I don't know how they can actually find out who did this if the drives were wiped

The hackers used a clever system that exploited Sony servers via emails that the employees opened that looked like real internal emails. Sort of like grandma opening that attachment to check her credit report from a Nigerian Prince. You get the gist. They siphoned the data a little at a time to not trigger any network alarms and by playing it smart and not saying or doing anything for a long time Sony had NO idea they were even there. With that being said, as Joe said they left no trace to track and since their networks had no idea they were in the system there's no way they could have had a counterattack. Sony knew nothing until they were told.

Thanks for all the responses folks. I've been following the Sony hack story but not being a techie I'm not that familiar with most of what you are telling me. Its certainly educational tho. However for the typical computer person, the hard drive bomb thing seems like an excellent way to prevent at least most hacks. I certainly would install something like that on my computers if I had the know how. Thanks again for all the info.

Back
Top Bottom