What is the point in PC gaming at this point in the console life cycle?

Druid

Fully Optimized
To me, unless you are trying to play a shooter very competitively or are playing an rts/mmo game, does PC really have an advantage over console anymore? Both 1080p, graphics looks exactly the same. Console cheaper though and easier to use.

The reason I'm interested is because I would need to upgrade my pc if I want to play new titles, but I can't see the point since I got a ps4. The only advantage I can see is if you wanted buy a higher resolution display, but this also requires beefier graphics power an a lot more money.

Higher FPS, higher refresh. Consoles can't compete there. Even in MMOs, RPGs, racing, whatever higher FPS always makes for a more fluid experience.

But you need higher FPS on PC for some reason. Even when they cap at 30 FPS on console, the game still looks smooth. On PC, 30 FPS is utter trash.

Idk, as long as it looks smooth, i don't really see why spend all the extra money and go through all the troubleshooting headaches of PC.

It's too bad the rts genre has dried up. Grey Goo game out. In IGN's review, they said it was the best non blizzard rts in five years. They then preceded to score it in the 7 range. lol

30fps on console is not smooth to me. On some games it actually gives me a headache and for that I'm so glad Halo MCC is 60fps. Even still, fluidity isn't about average, it's about that dip. On a PC you can have over 60fps and if it never dips below 60 you'll never notice fluctuation. On a console if as high as you can go is 60 if it dips with a bad variance it's easily noticeable. To most people who play console all the time they don't notice this, but being on a high end PC for so long I notice it immediately. It's why my 360 has been boxed up for years and why I emulate Nintendo and PS1/2 on my PC.

I commend Nintendo on the Wii U, as it appears to me to be a completely smooth experience 1080p/60fps in each game I've played so far.

Another point for me in the direction of PC is post process. I live for AF and AA. Not something you'll get on the consoles.

There is more than enough of a point for PC gaming, it's all in what you want to do.

Last edited:
Also - there are those of us that are just stubborn about having to learn a new form of gaming - practicing enough with a controller to be good enough with one to enjoy the game- it is my 2015 resolution= get good enough with a controller to enjoy gaming with it. I doubt I will ever be as good with a controller as I am with the K & M - but it appears more and more new games are not optimized for K & M = can you say D/A - Inquisition. Bioware yelled from the top of the highest buildings that they were were making a PC optimized game= total BS. SO, I guess I will have to get up with the times and learn to use a controller if I want to play. So be it, we have both an Xbox and a PS3 in the house - so back to the drawing board. ON the brighter side - there are definitely good games that are only for Xbox or PS3 - so- if I am successful at learning to use a controller- I will have many new games to play and enjoy.

One other point will be the next few years, As OC's get more powerful the games get more detailed, even now the detail I get smoothly on some games are pretty much what I would have on med settings on the console, I like the PC for the upgradability where as the console is what it is, there good but the higher end graphice is what keeps me on the PC

Also - there are those of us that are just stubborn about having to learn a new form of gaming - practicing enough with a controller to be good enough with one to enjoy the game- it is my 2015 resolution= get good enough with a controller to enjoy gaming with it. I doubt I will ever be as good with a controller as I am with the K & M - but it appears more and more new games are not optimized for K & M = can you say D/A - Inquisition. Bioware yelled from the top of the highest buildings that they were were making a PC optimized game= total BS. SO, I guess I will have to get up with the times and learn to use a controller if I want to play. So be it, we have both an Xbox and a PS3 in the house - so back to the drawing board. ON the brighter side - there are definitely good games that are only for Xbox or PS3 - so- if I am successful at learning to use a controller- I will have many new games to play and enjoy.
I have 0 issues playing Inquisition with mouse and keyboard. It's basically a click and slash game.

i have a xbox 1 controller on the pc for most of my games very few games i play don't support controller.

I consider myself a PC gamer primarily, even though we have an Xbox 360, Wii and Wii U in the house. I game 90% of the time on my PC because it has the games I want to play (WoW, Star Trek Online, APB Reloaded, etc. etc. etc.) not to mention Steam and all the games I have on there I've not even gotten to yet.

1. More games and more variety of games: Consoles have their place, but for the sheer volume of games available, including heavy hitters AND indy titles, you can't beat a PC.

2. Value over time: I recently got a new PC after 10 years and had it tricked out (including custom paint) and while I was still able to play some titles the newer ones were getting out of reach. So I opted for a new computer. Over time, this will last me longer, and be more cost effective over time than having to buy multiple consoles and console games over the same time period.

3. Ease of use: I have to keep tracking down discs and missing controlers for the kids when they want to play, but with cloud accounts, I was able to install ALL my games though Steam, Battle.net, Origin and thing like Adobe Creative Cloud.

4. More than just gaming: I can use Photoshop, capture and edit videos, get email, etc. All the things you can do with a PC. If you have a PC around ANYway, why not make sure it does ALL the things you want it to do?

the only reason people switch to console is because most of the games are not even available for PC.
companies force you to switch. and then you make up excuses such as" trying new things, want xbox etc"
job done lol

Back
Top Bottom